Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule firmware upgrade to 7.6.9 - lost backups for iMac and Macbook Pro

I just did the firmware upgrade on my Time Capsule. After the reboot, my backups for my iMac and Macbook Pro both appear to be missing.

I tried verify and it shows the backup but it does not show it available as a previous backup on either iMac or Macbook Pro.

Any suggestions to get this fixed are appreciated.

I just tried doing a backup on my Macbook Pro and thought it appears to show the drive, it seems to be taking a long time to prepare which feels like it is starting over, so I canncelled it.

On my Macbook, it just shows as none for oldest and non for recent.

Macbook Pro log for Time machine

User uploaded file

Macbook Pro Time Machine. I can't tell if the verify complete properly. It went to 81% stayed there for awhile and then closed.

User uploaded file

iMac Time Machine backup. This Verify went to 86% and then stayed there for 15 minutes.

User uploaded file

Time Machine on Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), MacBook Retina Pro, iMac

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 10:52 PM

Your backups are probably OK.. but I am guessing that the changes in wireless security have done something which affects your connection.

Here is what I would do..

1. Factory reset and reconfigure the TC.. from scratch. Use all short names.. no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Bonus points for <10 characters. Passwords also new and same rules but longer..

Your backup is unaffected by this.

2. Plug one of the Macs in by ethernet (both would be preferable) with wireless turned off and reconnect your Time Machine to the newly named TC.. TM will say it is going to do a new backup.. in fact once it starts it will discover the existing backup on the disk and verify it.. so this will take a long time.. hence the ethernet. (wireless off).

3. If the backups show as bad.. you will need to make a decision.. are you going to delete them and start over or archive them off first and then erase the TC and start over. In either case you really must start over.

4. If you are running Sierra or H.S. take a moment and think about changing from Time Machine to a RELIABLE BACKUP.. that aint TM. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner.. but others are available..

Since Sierra Apple has made security to network drives a trigger for TM corruption.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 10:52 PM in response to _TC10_

Your backups are probably OK.. but I am guessing that the changes in wireless security have done something which affects your connection.

Here is what I would do..

1. Factory reset and reconfigure the TC.. from scratch. Use all short names.. no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Bonus points for <10 characters. Passwords also new and same rules but longer..

Your backup is unaffected by this.

2. Plug one of the Macs in by ethernet (both would be preferable) with wireless turned off and reconnect your Time Machine to the newly named TC.. TM will say it is going to do a new backup.. in fact once it starts it will discover the existing backup on the disk and verify it.. so this will take a long time.. hence the ethernet. (wireless off).

3. If the backups show as bad.. you will need to make a decision.. are you going to delete them and start over or archive them off first and then erase the TC and start over. In either case you really must start over.

4. If you are running Sierra or H.S. take a moment and think about changing from Time Machine to a RELIABLE BACKUP.. that aint TM. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner.. but others are available..

Since Sierra Apple has made security to network drives a trigger for TM corruption.

Dec 18, 2017 1:48 AM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague, Thank You Very Much for your response. This was VERY Helpful.

Based on your insights,

1. I first of all tried the backup on my Macbook Pro which was showing the backup still existed but was taking a LONG time to start. So, I gave it the time and it actually ran to completion and the older backup also show up fine.

2. I then tried the same thing on my older iMac on older OS that showed None for backups and it did what you noted, it appeared to run a full new backup but when completed, the older backups also showed up so I have the a. current backup plus b. my history of backups.

THANKS, without your insights, I would not have felt comfortable giving this a try.

Thanks again,

TC10

Time Capsule firmware upgrade to 7.6.9 - lost backups for iMac and Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.