Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New hard drive invalidate warranty on iMac 2017?

Hello people!

I've received a new iMac 21.5 retina 4k 2017 ( i5 QC, AMD 2gb, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD!!!!).
I don't need an HDD, maybe no one need an HDD today. So before using it, I want to change the hard drive with an SSD 500gb.

If I open the iMac and change it by my self (I know how to do), will I invalidate the warranty?
If I invalidate the warranty, I will not do it... but in this case I have a second question!! Can I use an external SSD ( Samsung T5 500gb thunderbolt) to boot and use macOS? I can have this always in my iMac and boot the operating system from it.

iMac

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 3:25 AM

3 replies

Dec 17, 2017 3:46 AM in response to Stefano Sisto

Stefano Sisto wrote:

If I open the iMac and change it by my self (I know how to do), will I invalidate the warranty?

Yes it most definitely will!

Stefano Sisto wrote:

.....Can I use an external SSD ( Samsung T5 500gb thunderbolt) to boot and use macOS? I can have this always in my iMac and boot the operating system from it.

You can boot the iMac from any external drive. Word of warning though,

for some reason many are having issues with the Samsung you mentioned

even when just used for data.

Best option would be to get a quality Thunderbolt or USB3 enclosure

and put an SSD in it.

OWC has several varieties of enclosures and most here will say they

are the most compatible (they are a Mac centric supplier) and reliable.

External Hard Drive Enclosures and Optical Drives for Macs

Their SSDs are also highly regarded, though a bit pricier than

some other options.

Dec 17, 2017 3:59 AM in response to Stefano Sisto

As you are not going to open it up (Well done), the cost is not relevant. But if you do, in time, buy from OWC. You will get an Apple suited product with a guarantee. Amazon is not the best place to buy technical products where you need reliability above all ... and you should never allow cost to affect your judgement unless you are a high level technical person.

New hard drive invalidate warranty on iMac 2017?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.