Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if an email has been read?

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 5:11 PM

Additionally, in the "good old days", you could not (and still cannot) tell if a recipient read your snail mail letter. You can pay for a receipt/signature confirmation, but that does not mean that they read it - it is only proof that it was delivered (used with legal proceedings mostly). Once you send a letter (or email), it is no longer yours to decide what can be done with it - it is the recipient's property and decision.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2017 5:11 PM in response to joannafromwayne

Additionally, in the "good old days", you could not (and still cannot) tell if a recipient read your snail mail letter. You can pay for a receipt/signature confirmation, but that does not mean that they read it - it is only proof that it was delivered (used with legal proceedings mostly). Once you send a letter (or email), it is no longer yours to decide what can be done with it - it is the recipient's property and decision.

Dec 17, 2017 8:17 AM in response to joannafromwayne

Call the recipient and ask them if they read the email. Use an email client that allows read receipts, but know beforehand that whether or not a receipt is returned is controlled by the recipient. So even if you use an email client that allows read receipt requests you still won't know if the recipient read the email unless they choose to send you the receipt. Most email clients and recipients do not allow read receipts because it is a way for scam artists/phishers to determine if you received their phish/scam.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.