Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2015 distorted display on boot up + but can boot up in safe mode (possible high sierra upgrade issue)

Hi there,

Im having big problems with my MacBook pro early 2015 13" retina.

It started when i upgraded to High Sierra recently.....and my computer started to become slow and then eventually the screen became so undecipherable with distortion and flickering, it could only function ( barely ) in safe mode.

I then decided to revert back to the 'sierra' operating system with a bootable USB and i wiped the computer and started again with 'Sierra' installed. This actually fixed the issue and i could boot up my computer with no problems and use it without being in safe mode. It was all back to normal.

About 2 weeks later, my computer's screen just went into a distortion frenzy again, lots of colours, flickering and not being able to make out anything anymore.

This now happens each time i switch on my computer now. It can't boot up normally. It does however work in safe mode.......and the login screen is grey now. This is how I'm typing this.

In light of this, i tried to wipe and revert to a older OS such as YOSEMITE, and unfortunately, it still boots up with a distorted screen. But works in safe mode.

I then, tried to level up to SIERRA OS again....I've even tried upgrading to HIGH SIERRA since the december big fixes ......Stilll.....my laptop cannot boot up without a distorted screen. But works in safe mode.

Can anyone help?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 3:28 AM

1 reply

Dec 18, 2017 7:15 PM in response to Jimmyshortarms

Hi Jimmyshortarms,

I understand that your MacBook Pro is having some display issues, but seems to be working okay when you start it in safe mode. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Based on what you've gone through to troubleshoot this, I recommend resetting your SMC and NVRAM:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support
How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue continues after this, I recommend that you contact Apple Support for additional help.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Macbook Pro 2015 distorted display on boot up + but can boot up in safe mode (possible high sierra upgrade issue)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.