Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I update iOS or any apps (above 100 MB) without WiFi?

It’s not even AT&T or any other carrier who blocks it, it’s APPLE, and it makes NO SENSE (other than they must have striked a deal with the carriers, the carriers pay Apple to keep their networks less congested).

For some people, mobile networks ARE their only Internet Access where they live. But besides that, you should just be allowed to do whatever you want on any Internet Access. In this case APPLE is the one blocking the updates, NOT the Internet Access.

Some of us actually have good data plans, like AT&T’s unlimited, and even if someone has limited, they should have the American and human right to decide what they want or NEED to do on it.

Apple needs to change this, so you can update iOS, and download and update any apps, regardless of the file size, over your data connection. Hulu and YouTube recently started allowing users to manually change video quality over cellular connection, which they actually did shortly after I reached out to them and told them they should. Now it’s time for Apple to do the same.

It’s not like Apple even has its own ISP that it’s trying to push people to subscribe to.

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 4:58 AM

1 reply

Dec 18, 2017 10:28 AM in response to Idkwhatmyusernameshouldbelol

Hi :) i have a idea. If you have someone living with you owning a mobile with internet connection, setup his mobile as mobile hotspot. Connect your mobile with wifi into his hotspot and download games or apps as big they can be. Guess even a cellular ipad could achieve that.

Kindest regards.

Hope you can achieve what you want :)

Why can’t I update iOS or any apps (above 100 MB) without WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.