Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I delete files from iCloud without it being deleted from my system

Hi

I need some help; when ever I delete a file from icloud, it deletes on my system

I'm trying to delete files from the desktop folder in my icloud drive but it deletes on my system

any suggestions how to stop the back up?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 11.2.1, wavy

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 3:48 AM

2 replies

Dec 17, 2017 4:46 AM in response to dahar

The point of iCloud is that it keeps the iCloud server in sync with some parts of your local file system. You seem to have enabled the option available since Sierra, to also sync your desktop.

macOS Sierra: Store your desktop and documents in iCloud Drive

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you don’t want a file in iCloud but want to keep it locally, all you have to do is to move that file into some folder that doesn’t get synced.

Dec 17, 2017 4:29 AM in response to dahar

iCloud is a syncing service. It is keeping the files and folders in iCloud identical to the files and folders on your synced Mac. This, Ddleting from iCloud Drive will delete the synced copies from the Mac as well.

Instead of deleting from iCloud Drive, create a new folder "Desktop Local" in your Home folder (not on iCloud Drive) and then drag the documents you want to remove from iCloud to this local folder.They will be removed from iCloud and kept in your local folder in your Home folder.

Why can't I delete files from iCloud without it being deleted from my system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.