Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac has multiple draft emails with Gmail on Server

I am using Apple Mail with a Gmail account on my iMac, iPhone, iPad and, sometimes, through a browser.

When replying to an email message, Apple Mail stores multiple (sometimes 100's) of versions of the draft email and *DOES NOT DELETE THEM* when the message is sent. Apple mail is configured to keep drafts on the server, which is what I want to happen, so that I can sometimes finish them on other devices. This behaviour is NOT present when using any other device, so the bug is specific to Apple Mail on Mac, (not iPhone or iPad).

I know this issue has been raised before, but it has incorrectly been marked as solved, so I am raising it again in the hope that it can really be solved this time. (For background, the action previously incorrectly adopted as a solution is to configure Apple Mail to not store drafts on the server. This does not solve the problem as, although you don't then get multiple drafts, on your other devices you don't get a draft at all! So, that's not a server-based email system.)

This behaviour is present regardless of the mail account type used - using the recommended 'Google' account type or using a general IMAP account to connect to the Gmail service each exhibit the same bug.

This bug has been present for a number of years and OS X versions. It is about time it was addressed. If anyone has a fix for this please respond here. I ask politely that this thread is not polluted with "solutions" of "don't store drafts on the server", since that alternate behaviour is well documented and discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks

~Joe

iMac - Sierra / Apple Mail / Gmail account

iMac, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 5:38 AM

7 replies

Dec 17, 2017 8:25 AM in response to SnowyJoey

In your question you wrote -

When replying to an email message, Apple Mail stores multiple (sometimes 100's) of versions of the draft email and *DOES NOT DELETE THEM* when the message is sent. Apple mail is configured to keep drafts on the server, which is what I want to happen, so that I can sometimes finish them on other devices. This behaviour is NOT present when using any other device, so the bug is specific to Apple Mail on Mac, (not iPhone or iPad).

When a mail is composed only one draft is automatically saved and not hundreds or more .

User uploaded file

If you close the compose window , and click on save button a single draft is saved and not hundred's , if you have already stored hundred's of mails as draft they will be always stored until you discard them or delete them , this is the way apple mail application works , a link is already there on the thread for sending your views to apple ie . feedback ,you can send it .

User uploaded file

In your computer something is wrong you can delete the account and configure it once again , make sure what ever settings are changed in webmail server and are saved they will be permanent , if you delete the apple mail application multiple times and add it once again , the settings will show their impressions and consequences will be permanent .

An article for it Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support

Dec 17, 2017 3:05 PM in response to SnowyJoey

For Mac , data storage is more as compared to iPhone and iPad .

If you enter in web mail compose a mail and fill up the credentials , and close the mail compose window the mail is stored as Draft on the gmail server , and if you want to discard it and delete it you can .

User uploaded file

And if you want to delete to delete one draft or all of them click on drop down arrows and select as all .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And , if you have simultaneously opened , mail application window and dragged side by side to web mail ( gmail account window you can see the draft mails will be deleted in front of you ) .

Also , in labels you can hide or show them .

User uploaded file

And regarding the threads you have posted , members are showing the method on apple mail application not to save drafts , but that is for El - Capitan or previous versions in recent Mac OS High Sierra , the pattern has been changed .This is just a screen shot for Mac OS high Sierra .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

See some articles Save draft emails - Apple Support

Mail Mailbox Behaviors preferences - Apple Support

And in your original question that you have asked is drafts will automatically get saved when mail is composed , the purpose of storing is if you want to do any kind of changes in it in future add some subject or delete some sentences etc , its just for convenience for the user .

Dec 18, 2017 11:24 AM in response to SnowyJoey

This exact situation has been bugging me for years and I completely understand your situation. The 'answer' above isn't an answer and as you point out - the workaround is to not use the functionaity that you are trying to use...... hmmm.

When I've researched this before, it turns out that the protocols used by mac mail and gmail aren't 100% suited to work together. I's something to do with how drafts work and auto-save What Google use is geared up to work for their own online email service and as a result the draft folder in Mac Mail is left accumulating drafts as they are auto-saved.

So, if you create an email, Mac Mail will, by default, auto-save every so often. Each of these auto-saved is stored on the server but (due to the incompatibility) not overwritten.

Result = lots of saved drafts. Only the 'final' draft gets removed when you send.

Apple will argue that they have created an Email Application that is designed to work on their own platform and therefor ask Google to correct this. Ask Google and they will say they are focusing on making their own system work. You get the picture.

It bugs me, but as far as I know, there is no way to make this one thing work. Technically it isn't a bug, as both Apple and Google will say their email is working exactly as they intended.

Dec 17, 2017 12:40 PM in response to tygb

Thank you for getting involved, but you may have misunderstood. I do not wish to enter a "yes it is", "no it isn't" discussion. I am not wrong, my Mail Gmail accounts (plural) have been recreated under instruction from Apple Engineering (not recently I admit) and I am not wrong about the behaviour or the setup.

This is a common problem, well documented around the internet. Here are just a few that a 10-second Google search brings up.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7567768

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answers/how_to_configure_apple_mail_to_avoid_dup licate_drafts_with_gmail

https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/thread/3762528

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6963457

In short: Real problem. Been around for years. Still looking for a fix.

Dec 18, 2017 11:58 AM in response to Webcetera

Thanks for your reply. Yes the situation is as you describe. That’s the wonderful thing about “standards” - there are just so many to choose from ;-)

However, I remain convinced that the ability to solve this is in Apple’s hands, as the problem does not occur with iPhone or iPad, only Mac (nor even incidentally Windows mail!). This is, as you say, because of the auto save functionality. Therefore one more useful workaround would be to allow us to disable that auto save on a per account basis. Not perfect, but better than not using server based drafts.

I also believe that a better solution is technically possible; I think it’s time Apple realised that Google are also a big company with lots of users who aren’t going away, and that you win more friends by playing nice than by squabbling.

Anyway: if anyone knows of any hidden mail configuration settings that would help, please let me know!

Thanks

Joe

Dec 18, 2017 11:28 PM in response to Webcetera

Hello !

There is no such as settings in gmail web account , if you click on that button and will not save your drafts , you can only unhide in labels , go to the settings > Labels > then hide the drafts box and finally click on save .

Apple mail application is just configured with gmail web account .

Mac has multiple draft emails with Gmail on Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.