Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which device is trying to log in?

I often get a message, A device from XXXX is trying to log in with your AppleID - Allow or Don't Allow

But, there is no identification of which device - it could even be the one with the pop-up - or it could be that I have to hunt through a half dozen devices to figure it out. The location information doesn't help. I have not allowed based on location, but later found it was actually my device. The ISP just implied a bad location. I don't want to help a hacker, but the message isn't helpful.

It is very frustrating. Is there information I am missing that would help me figure out who/what/where is trying to log in?

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 5:58 AM

5 replies

Dec 17, 2017 6:46 AM in response to Cosmo Castellano

If you were signing into iCloud when you received the message, there is probably nothing to worry about.

You might want to consider changing your password. If you want more security, consider 2 Factor Authentication or 2 Step Verification.

Apple ID Password Change

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication

Two Factor Authentification availability

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verification App Specific Passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ

Dec 17, 2017 9:00 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric

Thanks for the reply. There is absolutely nothing to worry about, and I do not have to change my password. I live in center New York, about two and a half hours east of Rochester. It turns out, after a lengthy search, an old iPhone I use as a iPod in my basement exercise area was requiring a sign in. Why was it signing in - who knows? - it sits on an iHome as a sound source. Apparently there is a time limit for a device? Also, apparently my IP address comes up as "Rochester" instead of Utica, NY. The dialog box on my main iPhone indicated a device in Rochester was trying to sign in. I wish Apple would include a clue (MAC ID, system name, or something) so I would easily know that it was one of my devices and how to find it to log in. The location clue is only as good as the ISP.

Some of my older devices can only use two-step rather than two-factor ID. In the case of the phone in my basement, I had to sign in, then sign in appending the code received to the current password. I believe it is the two-factor ID code screen I am complaining about. I have two-factor enabled for my account.

Cosmo

Which device is trying to log in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.