Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NOT redownload all Music

I have a new iMac - and have now all my Music in an external drive (before I had it in Macintosh HD2 in the "old" Mac" --- the new iMac has an internal SSD but I don't want to use it for the "bulk" data)

I copied the iTunes folder where the Libray (.itl) is etc to the new iMac Music Folder i.e. Lib is in SSD

I copied the Music Files (iTunes Media) to an external drive

I updated the preferences.

So all is ok, I see the Music, I see the Play lists etc... BUT the Music shows up as NOT downloaded...

When I click on the "cloud icon" it downloads it, but then it will be duplicated in the disk...

How do I tell iTunes I have a version already and do not want to download it again? I do not want to redownload GBs andGBs of music

(yes I have done File->Library->Update Music Cloud)

Many thanks

Luis

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 5:59 AM

4 replies

Dec 17, 2017 6:51 AM in response to lsimoes

The .itl file contains references to the media files with an exact path address. If you copied the files to a new external drive then that address may have changed. The files need to be in exactly the same folder structure as before and the drive has to have exactly the same name as the old drive. Once all is up and running and iTunes is working you can re-name the external drive and iTunes should be able re-write its .itl with the new drive name in the paths.

Dec 17, 2017 7:13 AM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos,

many thanks for answering. Sorry still needing your assistance for a clarification...

<<...you can re-name the external drive and iTunes should be able re-write its .itl with the new drive name in the paths>>

? not sure what you mean.... i.e. the external drive is a LaCie drive and the Media Lib is in a dir called "iTunesMedia" just like it was before....

so... you say I should rename LaCie -> "Macintosh HD 2" (it is what it was before)... ?

and then nothing more?

The curious thing is that

>>> when I double click the file name in the LaCie disk, the music plays and the playing symbol shows in itTunes... so iTunes KNOWS it is the same file....

it just didn't recognise it was downloaded!!!

so not sure ....

cheers

Luis

Dec 17, 2017 10:36 AM in response to lsimoes

I think I understand the situation from your original description.

Are you sure the music isn't playing from iCloud? From your description of there being an iCloud icon and it downloading it sounds to me like it is referencing your media collection as being in iCloud. Normally if you use a split library where you have the library file on one drive and media on another you need to make sure the entire path to the new media drive is identical to the old one. If you don't have iCloud you end up with a bunch of broken link ( ! ) indicators.

You have to use exactly the same drive name. It is looking for the files on your old drive. You have to trick it into thinking the new drive is your old drive. Once you have done that then you can rename the new drive to whatever you want and iTunes should be able to keep up with the switch in drive name.

NOT redownload all Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.