Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Answer phone call with Apple Watch if I do not own an iPhone

I was wondering if I can answer phone calls with the newest Apple Watch, if I do not own a cell phone at all.

I would like to get rid of my cell phone altogether and just use an Apple Watch for everything (phone calls, email, maps & directions). Is this possible?

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 6:43 AM

Hi

No, you can't. Apple Watch cannot be used at all (even for telling the time) without being paired to a compatible model of iPhone.

This is required in order to set up and use all models of Apple Watch, including for managing and syncing with the Apple Watch over time:

• Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or newer with the latest version of iOS 11.x.
  • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) and all other Apple Watch models require an iPhone 5s or newer with the latest version of iOS 11.x.

Apple Watch cannot be set up and used on a standalone basis or synced with any other device from Apple or any other manufacturer.

More information:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2017 6:43 AM in response to mallarcky

Hi

No, you can't. Apple Watch cannot be used at all (even for telling the time) without being paired to a compatible model of iPhone.

This is required in order to set up and use all models of Apple Watch, including for managing and syncing with the Apple Watch over time:

• Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or newer with the latest version of iOS 11.x.
  • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) and all other Apple Watch models require an iPhone 5s or newer with the latest version of iOS 11.x.

Apple Watch cannot be set up and used on a standalone basis or synced with any other device from Apple or any other manufacturer.

More information:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Answer phone call with Apple Watch if I do not own an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.