Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone x red eye with flash

I just recently noticed that when I take a low light picture with flash, there is red eye in every photo on all the persons captured. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to fix this? I’ve never had this problem on any of my previous iPhones. Is this hardware issue or software??

iPhone X, iOS 11.1.2

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 7:16 AM

48 replies

Jan 7, 2018 8:55 AM in response to sagwal

Why do you expect it not to persist? There have been no updates that might affect it. As it's a result of the relative positioning of the flash and the camera lens nothing short of a phone redesign will change anything. You need to take steps yourself to manage it, as every photographer has done since the invention of photography. Things you can do:

• Don't take full frontal face photos; move to the side a bit
  • Take several photos in quick succession using flash. This will cause the subject's pupils to close, reducing the light that gets reflected from the retina. The last photos in the sequence should be OK
  • Don't use the flash at all; use a separate light off to the side

The one thing that Apple can do is to imitate a feature of some more expensive cameras; when taking photos fire the flash several times before the photo is taken to force the subject's pupils to contract. You might want to suggest this to Apple: https://apple.com/feedback.

Of course, then people will complain that it takes to long to take a flash photo.

Dec 17, 2017 1:58 PM in response to sagwal

It is an issue of physics. It has nothing to do with hardware or software. If light (any light) hits the retina of any mammal's eye it will be reflected back to the source of the light. As the light source is right next to the camera lens, it will be reflected into the camera lens. As human retinas are red, the reflected light will be red. A cat's will be white. Other animals will be other colors. Fortunately, any photo editor, even a basic one, can filter out the red reflection after the photo is take.

Dec 26, 2017 10:04 AM in response to felipipi

It can be fixed technically after the photo is taken, not while it is being taken. Virtually every photo editing program has a tool to remove red eye. But it is much better to prevent it in the first place, as removing it can change the look of the subject’s eyes. And that is up to the skill of the photographer. Watch a professional photographer, say at a wedding. Notice that she aims the flash up, not directly at the subject. Another way is “preflash” which is built into some cameras. It fires the flash several times to close the subject’s pupil, so less light reaches the retina to be reflected. The iPhone doesn’t do this, but you can simulate it by taking several pictures in quick succession - just hold the shutter button down for a second or too.

Dec 27, 2017 1:01 PM in response to felipipi

I have the same issue. I too have never had the red eye issue on any of my previous Iphones. Every picture I take with IPhone X using the flash puts white/yellow dots on every eye. The edit function does not work very well in group pictures. The last thing I want to do is edit eyes every time I use my flash. This is definitely an issue with the IPhone X

Jan 15, 2018 5:33 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I too have the problem with the white/yellow eyes- the 7+ did not do this- took beautiful pictures- with this one, I feel we’ve stepped back in the quality of the pictures- I shouldn’t have to do anything to correct this issue after spending so much on it... you sir, should buy the iPhone X and understand the frustration we’re all experiencing. If I had known, I would have bought the 8+...

Jan 15, 2018 8:10 AM in response to sagwal

Let's start with an explanation of how the iPhone X (and really, virtually any cell phone and less expensive cameras) take a flash photo.

What is Slow Sync Flash?

The iPhone X's rear camera comes with a quad-LED True Tone Flash: It evens out your photo so that your subject isn't washed out. In addition, Apple has packed in a new software feature — Slow Sync Flash — that combines the True Tone flash with your iPhone's image signal processor (ISP) to slow down the shutter speed while firing the flash.

Portrait mode greatly benefits from Slow Sync Flash.

Why is this important? If you're shooting in low light, three things are important to expose your image properly: A large aperture (the size of the opening that hits your camera's sensor), ISO (your iPhone's light sensitivity), and a slower shutter. A slow shutter lets more light into your camera when you press the capture button, thereby making your image brighter.

Because the iPhone's lens apertures are fixed (f/2.4 for the telephoto lens on the iPhone X, and f/1.8 for the wide-angle lens), your iPhone automatically tweaks ISO and shutter speed whenever you shoot an image with the Camera app to try and get you the best image possible. (If you use a third-party manual camera app, you'll be able to adjust these values manually.)

In older iPhones, when you turned on the Flash setting, your iPhone would match the shutter speed with the brightness of the flash; as a result, the subject in front of the flash would be evenly exposed, but anything not covered by the flash would be overly dark.

Here's the problem, which has been the bane of flash photography for decades. Yes, all the way back to the beginning of film cameras. The problem is, and always has been…

Slow shutter speeds combined with a flash is highly likely to produce red eye. Particularly in low light situations where the subject's pupils are already dilated.

The most commonly used flash sync for less expensive cameras is 1/60th of a second. This includes your iPhone X, Galaxy, Pixel, Android, and any other cell phone. You bought an advanced phone, not a professional camera. That tiny lens and minuscule flash is not professional equipment. It's equivalent to any $50 digital camera you can buy at Target. That slow shutter speed is asking for flash induced red eye.

Not to mention, all of the images any cell phone saves are highly compressed JPEGs. Take a photo of the same subject with a real, high quality camera that allows you to save your images in a non-lossy format, such as TIFF or RAW, and your phone (even in good light), then compare the two. You'll see massive detail loss in any cell phone, or cheap digital camera shot. The goal is to save space on your device so you can take lots of photos. Problem is, too much JPEG compression also destroys your photos. You can tell what they are, of course, but they'll never be as sharp and detailed as they could be.

The minimum shutter speed to avoid red eye is 1/125th of a second. 1/250th is preferred. Even on my Nikon D800, the default is the same stupid 1/60 of a second if I leave it on Program (automatic) mode. So I put it on shutter priority instead and set the camera to a 1/250th shutter speed. The camera and mounted SB-600 flash talk to each other. So, the flash knows I've sped up the shutter, and compensates with a brighter flash to produce enough light for the conditions.

You'd think this wouldn't make a difference. The speed of light should outrun any shutter speed and produce red eye regardless. I've never looked into the physics behind it, but it works. I can point the flash right at people in low room light and not get red eye in any shot.

In short, you're expecting a $50 camera to perform like a $2,500 one.

iphone x red eye with flash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.