Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: MBP 2016 External HDMI Monitor Issue

I have my MBP 2016 hooked up to an external monitor using the HDMI USB-C dongle. This works fine in Mac mode. However in upon boot up in bootcamp, the Windows login screen shows on the external monitor for about 5 seconds. Then it goes black and switches back to the laptop display. It sits there for about 15 seconds and then switches back to the external monitor.

If I login before letting it switch back to the external monitor, it switches after logging in and apps tend to crash (like Skype).

If the computer goes to sleep, when restarting with the external monitor attached, windows completely crashes and it reboots itself.

I have tried every AMD bootcamp driver and cannot seem to get around this issue. I am beginning to think its not related to the AMD driver.

Any ideas whats going on here?

Thanks

Ray

Posted on

Dec 17, 2017 4:16 PM in response to vbisbest1 In response to vbisbest1

Disconnect the dongle and external monitor, switch to Windows. Log in to Windows, connect the USBc dongle, and then connect the HDMI monitor, and check the Windows Display tab. Is it set to Extend or Duplicate the display?

Dec 17, 2017 4:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 18, 2017 1:47 PM in response to vbisbest1 In response to vbisbest1

I use a 2016 tbMBP. Connecting via the USBc-to-Digital AV adapter vs. a USBc-to-DP cable shows differences in the timing of connecting and showing the display on the external monitor. The USBc-to-DP cable is much better and reliable.

Dec 18, 2017 1:47 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: vbisbest1

Question: MBP 2016 External HDMI Monitor Issue