Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Photos on just ONE device

I don't want every photo I take and store on my computer at home to sync back to my phone and Ipad. In fact, I'd like them to sync from the phone or pad TO the home computer and cloud and be able to free up space on my ipad and iphone. How can I do this? If I delete a photo from my phone it will disappear from everywhere and I don't see an option of just deleting on the iphone or ipad.

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 10:22 AM

If I delete a photo from my phone it will disappear from everywhere and I don't see an option of just deleting on the iphone or ipad.

This should only happen, if you are using iCloud Photo Library or My Photo Stream on your devices.

Do not use iCloud Photo Library, if you want to have different sets of photos on your devices. iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service. You use it to ensure that all devices are showing exactly the same sets of photos. If you want to transfer the photos from your iPhone to your computer and then to delete them from the computer, do not use any cloud services on your devices, but connect the iPhone to a USB port and download the new photos to Photos that are not yet on your Mac. Then delete the photos from your iPhone.

Or use My Photostream. It will sync new photos from your iPhone automatically to your Mac and new Photos from the Mac to the iPhone, But the drawback is, that it does not transfer Live Photos and videos, and if you delete photos from My Photo stream, they will also be deleted from all devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 10:22 AM in response to Ownedanapplesince1981

If I delete a photo from my phone it will disappear from everywhere and I don't see an option of just deleting on the iphone or ipad.

This should only happen, if you are using iCloud Photo Library or My Photo Stream on your devices.

Do not use iCloud Photo Library, if you want to have different sets of photos on your devices. iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service. You use it to ensure that all devices are showing exactly the same sets of photos. If you want to transfer the photos from your iPhone to your computer and then to delete them from the computer, do not use any cloud services on your devices, but connect the iPhone to a USB port and download the new photos to Photos that are not yet on your Mac. Then delete the photos from your iPhone.

Or use My Photostream. It will sync new photos from your iPhone automatically to your Mac and new Photos from the Mac to the iPhone, But the drawback is, that it does not transfer Live Photos and videos, and if you delete photos from My Photo stream, they will also be deleted from all devices.

Dec 17, 2017 10:36 AM in response to Ownedanapplesince1981

I'm just really surprised that there is no one way option and can't believe it is such a strange request.

It used to be this way in iPhoto and Aperture, but changed, when Photos has been released.

Apple replaced this by the option "Optimize Storage" for iCloud. Instead of deleting photos from your device you enable "Optimize Storage". iCloud will remove photos from the device and keep them only in iCloud, when you are running out of storage. The drawback is, you need paid iCloud storage, and you will need an internet connection to get access to your photos. This is not feasible, when you are traveling a lot and are frequently away from a reliable and affordable internet connection.

Deleting Photos on just ONE device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.