Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Apple 4S forced obsolescence

Apple has decided to not allow the iPhone 4S to sync to the latest version of iTunes 12.7.2.60 I guess the only thing to call this is forced obsolescence. I spoke to Apple Support and confirmed this today. Does anyone have any ideas how to sync music or books or movies etc without using iTunes or is this phone just useless. I know there are alternatives to backup but have no idea how to change content without iTunes.

iPhone 4S, iOS 10.2

Posted on

Dec 17, 2017 4:08 PM in response to lagunatick In response to lagunatick

Strange. I have just successfully synced my wife's 4S with iTunes 12.7.2.58, currently the latest version, on 2 different computers. So I guess the only thing to call this is false alarm.

Standard debugging principles apply. Try the following:

• Reboot your computer
  • Launch iTunes
  • Wait a couple of minutes for it to initialize
  • Try to connect the phone
  • If it can't be selected, quit iTunes
  • Connect the phone by USB
  • Launch iTunes
  • Try to connect again, after a several minute delay.

Followup:

• 12.7.2 successfully syncs my 3 iPod Classics (the oldest is 10 years old)
  • I discussed this with several colleagues, and among them they successfully synced an iPhone 4 and a 3GS.

Dec 17, 2017 4:08 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 7:06 PM in response to lagunatick In response to lagunatick

fwiw, Apple has never done this.

They go the other way, where the latest iOS version always requires the latest iTunes version.

I don't believe they would ever render an older iOS or device is ever incompatible with iTunes.

Dec 17, 2017 7:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 18, 2017 8:13 AM in response to lagunatick In response to lagunatick

I appreciate the replies here and did roll back to a previous version as you suggested Lawrence. I am not sure why Apple would have confirmed this issue in Case ID: 100382014979 if it were not true but either way if they misinformed me on that support call or this is actually true - the responsibility lies with them.

Dec 18, 2017 8:13 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: lagunatick

Question: Apple 4S forced obsolescence