Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rMBP random shutdown solution ?

Hi,

I experience for some weeks now a very annoying issue on my late 2013 rMBP, when running on batteries only.

Shortly after booting, randomly, even if the machine is cold, the screens goes black, the backlight remains for some seconds, and the machine shuts down just after.

I searched for a fix but mostly found same issues encountered by rMBP owners, like this one :

MacBook Pro Retina Random Shutdown - YouTube

But I found a fix with this app :

https://realmacmods.com/product/macbook-pro-nocrash-utility/

Accord to the publisher, "the CPU has several power states and voltages. Some CPUs have become unstable at the extremely low voltage on one of it’s cores. The CPU will sometimes briefly dip into that power state, and if it happens to be on the core wherein it is unstable you will see the “silent” crash. Screen goes black, a few seconds later it dies completely. This condition was observed with external test equipment, as well as through internal cpu voltage monitoring".

Known Affected Units:

Any model with a 820-3662 Logic Board

Any model with a 820-3787 Logic Board

Macbook Pro 15″ 2013

Macbook Pro 15″ 2014

Macbook Pro 15″ 2015

Macbook Pro 13″ 2013

Macbook Pro 13″ 2014

Macbook Pro 13″ 2015

Seems like this a hardware issue, never encountered before, probably due to macOS power management (since Sierra ?).

Hope this will help you if you experience the same issue.

Sincerely yours,

Nicolas

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 10:54 AM

There are no replies.

rMBP random shutdown solution ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.