Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube killing WiFi on iPhone

When I am watching a video on my YouTube app, at some point in the middle of the video, the video will stop playing and it will appear to be buffering. In actuality, the YouTube app seems to have killed my WiFi connection on my iPhone 7+ (note that other devices connected to the WiFi network still work fine). Specifically, when this happens, none of my other iPhone apps have any internet connection (i.e. I can't get mail, I can't load a page in Safari, etc.). The only way I've found to solve this problem is to turn off WiFi on my iPhone, wait a few seconds, and then reconnect to the same WiFi network.

Note that this problem only seems to happen on my home WiFi network using my iPhone. I have tested my iPhone by using YouTube on other WiFi networks and I do not seem to have this problem.

Meanwhile, the problem does not seem to be with my WiFi router. My wife's iPhone 7 plays YouTube videos just fine on our home network. And My AppleTV has no trouble playing YouTube videos on my home network either. The problem seems to be only with the combination of my WiFi network + my iPhone.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 12:00 PM

3 replies

Dec 17, 2017 3:29 PM in response to joelsss44

joelsss44 wrote:

Note that this problem only seems to happen on my home WiFi network using my iPhone. I have tested my iPhone by using YouTube on other WiFi networks and I do not seem to have this problem....

Well, you can try to check some settings on your modem-router following these steps:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

YouTube killing WiFi on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.