Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network-based disks no longer work with OS 10.13.2.

I have used a network-based external drive for backups of my LAN for a while without any problems, then I upgraded my server Mac to 10.13.2 and the capability disappeared. Clients can no longer see the external drive despite being able to see the server's internal disk. Apple support flat out told me they will not help fix the problem. Any work-arounds??

VIN, iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 12:54 PM

4 replies

Dec 17, 2017 1:00 PM in response to jcc3

I am not sure the problem is related to airport in any way.. you would be better asking under the Server OS section.

However it is interesting to know .. I presume these disks are plugged into USB or other port on server computer??

Are you able to change the share name.. and use AFP instead of SMB?

Try mounting using AFP on the client computers.

If the internal disk works I cannot see how it is able to exclude the external drives. Or why it should.

Dec 17, 2017 1:05 PM in response to LaPastenague

I am not using airport. My disk is attached via USB and I am using AFP as required. This setup has been working since I bought the drive and set it up about 5 months ago. I am able to see the complete internal drive of my computer, but not the external volume. I called apple help and after about an hour of poking around, a senior analyst told me that they were instructed not to help with this issue stating it was for 'my' protection. I am not running any server software just 10.13.2.

Dec 17, 2017 1:18 PM in response to jcc3

Yes, I see.. Apple greatly increased the security for network drives as Sierra and then High Sierra.. etc..

I assumed that server meant using Server OS.. if you are using standard OS that is likely to add to the issue.. server after all is designed to serve.

Either go back to previous OS or add SFTP or some other protocol that Apple doesn't control.

But this question is not related to airports.. so post under high sierra. Ask a mod to move it.

Network-based disks no longer work with OS 10.13.2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.