Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy/Paste Range of Cells w/ References to other Sheets

I'm having trouble copying & pasting a range of cells with references on that sheet to other sheets - with the referenced cells remaining on the 1st sheet only. Working on a MacBook Air, in Numbers version 4.3.1 (5249). Thank you!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 6:29 PM

Hi Phil,

It's not clear what you want to happen.

Sheet 1::Table 1

User uploaded file

Formulas in row 2 filled right from the formula shown in B2.

B3 has a similar formula referencing B2 and using ROW() to determine the number of repeats.

With cells B2:D6 selected and copied, then Pasted with B2 selected on Sheet 2::Table 1

The results , after entering a single "k" in A2 were this (same cell selected to display formula below table):

User uploaded file

What was your expectation?

Regards,

Barry

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 6:29 PM in response to philfromjohnstown

Hi Phil,

It's not clear what you want to happen.

Sheet 1::Table 1

User uploaded file

Formulas in row 2 filled right from the formula shown in B2.

B3 has a similar formula referencing B2 and using ROW() to determine the number of repeats.

With cells B2:D6 selected and copied, then Pasted with B2 selected on Sheet 2::Table 1

The results , after entering a single "k" in A2 were this (same cell selected to display formula below table):

User uploaded file

What was your expectation?

Regards,

Barry

Dec 17, 2017 6:54 PM in response to philfromjohnstown

philfromjohnstown wrote:

I'm having trouble copying & pasting a range of cells with references on that sheet to other sheets - with the referenced cells remaining on the 1st sheet only.

Do you mean something like this?

Here I have the cells in column A of Table 1 referring to cells in column C of Table 1.

User uploaded file

But when I select the cells in column A, Edit > Cut, and paste into Table 2, the formulas now refer to column C of Table 2 instead of the original cells in Table 1.User uploaded file

If you want to keep the reference to the original cells in Table 1, then instead of copy-paste you can just select the cells, hold down the "mouse" button (or trackpad equivalent) and drag them into Table 2.

User uploaded file

Result:

User uploaded file

SG

Dec 17, 2017 10:30 PM in response to philfromjohnstown

HI Phil,

You get only one "solved" and two "helpful" markers on a question. You can 'upgrade' a "helpful" to a "solved", but can't move in the other direction. Sometimes it's a good idea to wait a while before hitting the buttons.

Looking back at my post, I see I inserted the wrong screen shot for the second example. The table should look the same (as it does), but the content should be all "k"s instead of "1"s. My bad! Here's the one that better matches what I described.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

Copy/Paste Range of Cells w/ References to other Sheets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.