Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

network-based disks no longer work with 10.13.2

I have used a network-based external drive for backups of my LAN for a while without any problems, then I upgraded my server Mac to 10.13.2 and the capability disappeared. Clients can no longer see the external drive despite being able to see the server's internal disk. Apple support flat out told me they will not help fix the problem. I am not using airport. My disk is attached via USB and I am using AFP as required. This setup has been working since I bought the drive and set it up about 5 months ago. I am able to see the complete internal drive of my server computer, but not the external volume. I called apple help and after about an hour of poking around, a senior analyst told me that they were instructed not to help with this issue stating it was for 'my' protection. I am not running any server software just 10.13.2. Any work-arounds??

VIN, iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 1:12 PM

1 reply

Dec 17, 2017 2:47 PM in response to jcc3

You need to share Time Machine backup disks via SMB in High Sierra. You didn't mention if they were Time Machine or not. I don't know why it would matter if you are not using Time Machine.

Here is the relevant extract of this article: Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

APFS and Time Machine

• You don't need to change any Time Machine settings to back up APFS-formatted disks.
  • Any Time Machine share points must be shared over SMB instead of AFP.

I have no idea what the person at AppleCare is talking about. I have several external drives shared out on my network. I don't know if they just make up stuff or they fail to effectively communicate the issue with the higher ups.

network-based disks no longer work with 10.13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.