Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Mail Rules dialog box in High Sierra

I'm in the midst of setting up a new iMac running OS 10.13.2.

In Mail, I've encountered an issue with the dialog box where I create the rules to filter my incoming/outgoing messages. As I add more filters to a particular rule, the 'Perform the following actions' box shrinks a little bit with each entry. If the list is long enough, the buttons within that box almost disappear from view -- to the point that they cannot be selected.

At first I thought that there was a problem with the rules I was creating, so I deleted them all and started over, only to have the issue re-occur.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, discovered a fix?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 5:05 PM

I should add that the problem started to surface after entering about 30-40 filters for a given rule. For folders that would need a lot of filters (say, friends or family), I would split the list of filters over two or three rules ('friends-1', 'friends-2', friends-3'). Once the problem starts within a given rule, it continues with each new rule created thereafter. So, if the buttons at the bottom of the dialog box are half hidden in the rule I'm working on, if I then create a new rule the buttons will start out being half hidden.

So far, I have tried these fixes:

-- reinstated original preferences; and

-- quit and re-launched Mail.

The problem re-occurs if the original prefs are used. Quitting and re-launching seems to reset the appearance of the dialog box, but the problem returns per the scenario above.

I should note that I did not have this problem in any previous version of Mail, up to and including OS 10.11.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 5:05 PM in response to elorasub

I should add that the problem started to surface after entering about 30-40 filters for a given rule. For folders that would need a lot of filters (say, friends or family), I would split the list of filters over two or three rules ('friends-1', 'friends-2', friends-3'). Once the problem starts within a given rule, it continues with each new rule created thereafter. So, if the buttons at the bottom of the dialog box are half hidden in the rule I'm working on, if I then create a new rule the buttons will start out being half hidden.

So far, I have tried these fixes:

-- reinstated original preferences; and

-- quit and re-launched Mail.

The problem re-occurs if the original prefs are used. Quitting and re-launching seems to reset the appearance of the dialog box, but the problem returns per the scenario above.

I should note that I did not have this problem in any previous version of Mail, up to and including OS 10.11.

Problem with Mail Rules dialog box in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.