Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Macbook Pro root name

Hi,

I recently purchased a used 15" MacBook Pro, mid 2015. The seller named it "NewComputer". I want to change that to my real name. Does anyone know how to do that? I haven't transferred over anything yet, so I can reset it to factory settings if I have to. I'd just like to know if there is an easier way. Thanks very much.

LadySunshine

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2017 12:48 PM

It does not sound like the seller properly erased the computer before selling it.

It should load as a brand new computer would, with no issues of an old computer name:

I would start over.

What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Dec 19, 2017 12:29 PM in response to LadySunshine77

Hi LadySunshine,

I understand that you've purchased a Mac and would like to change the name of the computer. This can be done in System Preferences > Sharing (while the article below is for macOS Sierra, the steps are the same in OS X El Capitan).

macOS Sierra: Find your computer’s name and address

Additionally, if you'd like to change the name of your user account, see the article linked below.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

Hope this helps,
Cheers!

How to change Macbook Pro root name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.