Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn on airplay on mid 2011 macbook air

Hello,

I have a mid 2011 macbook air running El Capitan 10.11.5. I'm trying to turn on Airplay, but in the display window the drop down that says "Airplay display" is showing "off". But there is no option to turn it on. I've followed the recommended instructions. Any help? Thanks.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), iOS 10.3.3, OS 10.11.5

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 2:58 PM

1 reply

Dec 19, 2017 12:29 PM in response to Patrick Emerick

Hello Patrick Emerick,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you are having trouble using AirPlay from your MacBook Air. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

If you don't see the AirPlay icon User uploaded file in your menu bar, make sure that your Apple TV is awake and meets the system requirements.

If you don't see your Apple TV in the AirPlay menu, make sure that your Mac and Apple TV meet the system requirements. Also check your firewall settings:

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy.
  2. Click the lock icon, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. From the Firewall tab, click Firewall Options.
  4. Make sure that “Block all incoming connections” is not selected, and “Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections” is selected.

Use AirPlay to display video from your Mac on an HDTV

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Can't turn on airplay on mid 2011 macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.