Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does backup on new phone delete data on original phone

As you can see from the date Christmas is near. I have purchased a new iphone for my wife and want to set it up so after opening the present all is needed is inserting sim card. If I set up the new phone now from itunes back up does that in any way disrupt the phone she is currently useing.? Don't want to spoil the surprise if her new phones goes down.

thanks

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 3:57 PM

1 reply

Dec 17, 2017 4:07 PM in response to mm90291

mm90291 wrote:

If I set up the new phone now from itunes back up does that in any way disrupt the phone she is currently useing.?

It does not. However, I would not recommend this approach.

The reason is that noting the date as you have, there is still a considerable gap between the latest iTunes backup and the date she would receive this gift. So any transactions that occur between now and then on her current iOS device would be lost.

Why not simply back up the old device and set up the new device after giving her the gift?

does backup on new phone delete data on original phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.