Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to Photos 3.0 removed my Face tags

I have 4,800 pix in my photo library. I updated to Photos 3.0 a few weeks ago. Today I launched Photos for the first time since the update. I was shocked and angered when I saw that many, many, MANY of my previously-named Faces (now People in 3.0) have had the name tag changed to "Unnamed". I also have many pictures with people in them who were not tagged - i.e., old family photos with people I didn't know, so I left them blank. The previously-unnamed people are still unnamed, and no tag was added for them - good. But the other people in the pic who I DID name now show as 'Unnamed'.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple Photos expert (and another 45 minutes on hold) who ran some obscure command in the terminal mode, did a 'repair' of the library, then finally told me to restore my library backup from Time Machine. Immediately after the restore, all the names were back again. But overnight, Photos again re-scanned all the pix in the restored library, and once again wiped out many of my tags.

I am so angry about this. I am sick to think of all the time I spent doing this work in the first place, and now it seems I'm going to have to do a good portion of it again. And what's to prevent it from happening again the next time there's an update to the Photos app?

What other photo organizing software should I consider using? What the eff is wrong with the Apple engineers who would release an update that would actively harm a user's data?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 4:46 PM

There are no replies.

Updating to Photos 3.0 removed my Face tags

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.