Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't adjust speed controls in iMovie?

i've never used iMovie before; all i'm doing is speeding up a screen record of me editing a photo, but i can't adjust the speed controls; they're grayed out in the control bar. it says to add my clip to a project before i can use it but my clip is in a project. i've seen the same question in different discussions and tried everything that was mentioned and nothing worked. i can't switch off wrapped timeline, in the window tab "show clip trimmer" is grayed out and the speed controls in the modify tab are grayed out as well. i'm using version 10.1.1. is there anything else i can do to get around this?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 7:02 PM

Hi, riley,

First, update to current version iMovie 10.1.8 and current operating system High Sierra, and see if that solves the issue. If you do not want to do that at this time, you can still do the following:

To insure that you are following the correct procedures, read this link that explains how to use the speed controls:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6c442b2eb

The speed control in the control bar at the upper right hand corner of your screen should appear when you select a video clip (not a photo) in the timeline, by clicking on it. If that does not happen, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and then selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. See if that solves it.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 7:02 PM in response to rileygarrett

Hi, riley,

First, update to current version iMovie 10.1.8 and current operating system High Sierra, and see if that solves the issue. If you do not want to do that at this time, you can still do the following:

To insure that you are following the correct procedures, read this link that explains how to use the speed controls:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6c442b2eb

The speed control in the control bar at the upper right hand corner of your screen should appear when you select a video clip (not a photo) in the timeline, by clicking on it. If that does not happen, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and then selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. See if that solves it.

-- Rich

Can't adjust speed controls in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.