Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Downgrading From High Sierra to Mavericks

Hi All,

I've been all over the forums. Nothing has worked for me so far in trying to downgrade from High Sierra to Mavericks. Can anyone please advise me on this, as I've wasted so much time already - days in fact, and haven't progressed.

I have a mid-2012 2.9ghz i7 machine with 16 gb ram, and a 1tb SSD drive, so it's as fully expanded as it can be. I was until recently running 10.9.5 Mavericks on it, and it was fast and flawless. I have been running High Sierra now for quite a few months and it is just too slow on this machine.. maybe it's too much for my older spec machine to run at speed? Anyway, beside the point as I've decided definitely to go back to Mavericks again.

I read on a website I found in Google that with High Sierra, there's a new feature that allows you to just roll back to whatever system your Mac came with. After making a full Time Machine backup of my current High Sierra install and all associated files, I've tried rolling it back, and it fails every time. I do exactly what it says; having made the full High Sierra Time Machine backup, I then erase the hard drive, and re-install Mavericks, and then update it to 10.9.5. That's as far as I get, because when I then try to import personal settings etc to what I had in High Sierra, Time Machine says I can't restore anything because the backup was done on a newer OS (High Sierra), and that I need to upgrade to High Sierra before it can proceed!

So I then tried Migration Assistant - same thing.. can't import anything from Time Machine because that's been done with a new OS. I'd prefer not to start pulling in individual pref files etc if I don't have to. There must be an easy way to downgrade and recall all your settings you originally had?

Oh, I should also note that I don't have a Time Machine backup for my old preferred Mavericks setup.. or at least I did, but my Time Machine disk died and I lost it!

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on

Dec 17, 2017 4:09 PM in response to StuMu In response to StuMu

It should run just fine on that Mac. It runs great on my Mini of same era and specs.

Do you have a reference for restoring a backup made on High Sierra? There is no way that would work as the Library formats are very much different, especially going all the way back to Mavericks.

If you don't have a backup made before the upgrade, then you'll need to manually migrate.

You would need to export all the individual files out of the Libraries (Photos, iTunes, etc). Store them on an external so you can import them back into your Mavericks Libraries. I don't know if there is a way to recover any keywords or the like.

There must be an easy way to downgrade and recall all your settings you originally had?

There is. You make a backup before you upgrade.

Dec 17, 2017 4:09 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 4:28 PM in response to Barney-15E In response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your reply/help Barney. I'm pleased you like the way HS runs for you in your situation.

"There is. You make a backup before you upgrade."

"I should also note that I don't have a Time Machine backup for my old preferred Mavericks setup.. or at least I did, but my Time Machine disk died and I lost it!"

Yes, I did have a Mav Time Machine backup squared away.. the hard drive was dead when I eventually needed it. So I had to make a fresh backup - by then I was already on High Sierra.

Dec 17, 2017 4:28 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 4:36 PM in response to StuMu In response to StuMu

Maybe you could get your High Sierra working better rather than rolling back to a dated OS. If you would like us to take a look and maybe find a way to improve performance you could post an etrercheck report for our analysis.

Dec 17, 2017 4:36 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 4:46 PM in response to BobTheFisherman In response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks very much BobTheFisherman. I'll go and have a look at my Time Machine HS backup now (backed up only three days ago, before I put this stock Mav OS on here) and see if it lets me run a check. If so, I'll copy n paste it up here.. I guess that's the way to go?

Dec 17, 2017 4:46 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 5:16 PM in response to BobTheFisherman In response to BobTheFisherman

Hi BobTF; I couldn't run the Etrercheck on the Time Machine backup, but in any case, I thought it still useful to run it on the now-current Mavericks OS I've just plopped onto my machine. I guess it indicates hardware and (current Mavs OS) software issues? What do you think?;

EtreCheck version: 3.4.6 (460)

Report generated 2017-12-18 11:05:51

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 2:04

Performance: Excellent

Click the [Lookup] links for more information from Apple Support Communities.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Computer is too slow

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service]

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro9,2

1 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-3520M) CPU: 2-core

16 GB RAM Upgradeable - [Instructions]

BANK 0/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Handoff/Airdrop2: supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 1711

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 - VRAM: 1024 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

Disk Information:

Crucial_CT960M500SSD1 disk0: (960.2 GB) (Solid State - TRIM: No)

[Show SMART report]

(disk0s1) <not mounted> [EFI]: 210 MB

disk0s2 (disk0s2 - Journaled HFS+) / [Startup]: 959.34 GB (945.79 GB free)

(disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS41N ()

USB Information:

XHCI Root Hub SS Simulation

XHCI Root Hub USB 2.0 Simulation

EHCI Root Hub Simulation

hub_device

hub_device

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

EHCI Root Hub Simulation

hub_device

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

System Software:

OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 (13F1911) - Time since boot: less than an hour

Gatekeeper:

Anywhere [Fix Gatekeeper security]

System Launch Agents:

[not loaded] 5 Apple tasks

[loaded] 147 Apple tasks

[running] 32 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] 49 Apple tasks

[loaded] 142 Apple tasks

[running] 57 Apple tasks

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper Application (Apple, Inc. - installed 2017-12-17)

(/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

Default Browser: 537 (installed 2017-12-17)

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (installed 2017-12-17)

3rd Party Preference Panes:

None

Time Machine:

Skip System Files: NO

Mobile backups: OFF

Auto backup: NO - Auto backup turned off

Volumes being backed up:

Destinations:

TIME MACHINE [Local]

Total size: 740.13 GB

Total number of backups: 1

Oldest backup: 3/12/2017 4:29 am

Last backup: 3/12/2017 4:29 am

Size of backup disk: Excellent

Backup size 740.13 GB > (Disk size 0 B X 3)

Top Processes by CPU:

3% kernel_task

1% hidd

1% fontd

1% WindowServer

1% Safari

Top Processes by Memory:

718 MB kernel_task

114 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

107 MB Safari

84 MB com.apple.IconServicesAgent

43 MB mds_stores

Top Processes by Energy Use:

17.08 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

7.18 com.apple.WebKit.Networking

7.02 Safari

3.40 WindowServer

Virtual Memory Information:

14.14 GB Available RAM

12.91 GB Free RAM

1.86 GB Used RAM

1.23 GB Cached files

0 B Swap Used

Diagnostics Events (last 3 days for minor events):

2017-12-18 11:01:10 Last shutdown cause: 3 - Hard shutdown

Dec 17, 2017 5:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 5:20 PM in response to StuMu In response to StuMu

I think your computer is running well. Make sure you configure Time Machine, unless you are backing up some other way, which is not currently running. You might also turn on Gatekeeper to help protect you from unwanted installs.

Dec 17, 2017 5:20 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 5:28 PM in response to BobTheFisherman In response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks Bob. The check does seem to indicate that, I guess. But I'll still press on to find a way to get my user account the way it was back on Mavs before I upgraded to HS. I don't need HS, and I liked Mavs way more. I did hope I could just copy my user account over, once back on a fresh Mavs install, which would replicate my settings, and then I could just copy over my Docs and Download folders. In the absence of all my apps etc, that didn't work! :-)

Dec 17, 2017 5:28 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 7:02 PM in response to StuMu In response to StuMu

Yes, I did have a Mav Time Machine backup squared away.. the hard drive was dead when I eventually needed it. So I had to make a fresh backup - by then I was already on High Sierra.

Yeah, I read that. It's water under the bridge, but a backup that doesn't work isn't a backup. A backup that isn't verified isn't a backup. A backup that's not current isn't a backup. They are all just paperweights.

I run Time Machine continuously, and I clone my drive before an upgrade (or any other significant event such as partitioning the drive). I boot from the clone to ensure it is valid. Then, I upgrade.

If anything goes awry, I can boot from the clone and be exactly where I was before.

Dec 17, 2017 7:02 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: StuMu

Question: Downgrading From High Sierra to Mavericks