Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP Library Properties

Hi,

My Mac is a 2015 iMac 5K, 27" I7, 32 GB DDR3 and AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB.

I have a LaCie D2 6TB with 128GB SSD upgrade.

What would be the fastest storage locations settings in Library Properties for editing in FCP ?

I have put the cache on the external SSD, even though I need to delete generated files every once in a while, since 128 GB is not that much. Media is in Library, Motion content in Motion content folder (On LaCie HDD) and backups on LaCie Hdd as well. Would it make sense to have an additional external SSD and put everything into the library ?

Thank you for any advice.

Ed

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 3:51 PM

3 replies

Dec 17, 2017 7:27 PM in response to allurenl

Depends on how large you let the Library become.

I personally use an SSD drive for each Library/Project I'm working on, 500 gig units are sweetly priced.

I find this large enough for my Projects.

Everything is on the SSD as Managed Media.

Then copy the whole deal to a seperate backup Library that is removed from the working system.

Thunderbolt connection is pretty quick to copy several hundred gig.

Everyone has their own methods and preferences as to how they manage their stuff.

It's only when you have a drive catastrophe that you need a that working backup.

Like Insurance, you may not need it and it costs money, but it is good to know it's there, just in case.

Al

Dec 18, 2017 1:51 AM in response to Alchroma

First, let me thank you for the time you have taken to respond. Would you suggest to put all the files in the library, rather than keeping them on their residing locations ? I thought it would be best to keep the files in their original locations and just put the cache on the SSD, but recently with the 4K 60fps HDR from my iPhone X I notice some shuttering. That is why I thought maybe I needed a different setup for the library.

Where would you put the media content, the cache and the motion content ?

Ed

FCP Library Properties

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.