Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move all Original content and data from the Cloud, to the iMac (Sierra OS 10.12.6) Hard Drive?

Losing Internet for months and need to move everything from iCloud to the iMac HD for accessing.

I have never used iCloud before getting this iMac w/ OS 10.12.6. I want to pull it down from the cloud so I can have a physical copy of everything on a Seagate 4 TB portable HD, with USB. Have no clue how to do this without making a mistake and later finding it's not on the Seagate.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), Model Name: iMac Model Identifie

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 7:31 PM

As stated, you already have a local copy of everything. The iCloud Drive folder is sync'd with your Mac. If you enabled the Optimize Storage option, then it is possible to have some things only in the cloud if you run out of room on your Mac. In that case, the OS will purge large, rarely used files from your Mac to make space as needed.

However, if you wish to remove it from iCloud Drive, just drag it into another folder on your Mac that is not sync'd with iCloud Drive.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 7:31 PM in response to pjdxxxwa

As stated, you already have a local copy of everything. The iCloud Drive folder is sync'd with your Mac. If you enabled the Optimize Storage option, then it is possible to have some things only in the cloud if you run out of room on your Mac. In that case, the OS will purge large, rarely used files from your Mac to make space as needed.

However, if you wish to remove it from iCloud Drive, just drag it into another folder on your Mac that is not sync'd with iCloud Drive.

Dec 17, 2017 7:31 PM in response to pjdxxxwa

Hi, Eric and Barney,

I have read the comments and links, and needjust to verify what I think I am seeing. . .before I begin the process.

f I have things archived in the iCloud drive, I should be able to just download the entire thing into a portable hard drive? Doing it a file at a time will not work when I have over 4,000 files up there. Is this correct?

Or the copies on the desktop which read from iCloud can be transferred out to the portable HD?

Thanks,

Delores

Dec 17, 2017 8:42 PM in response to Eric Root

I forgot to ask. Since I won't be able to get back to iCloud I am moving all files/downloaded software. Will I need to move a copy of my Library? Are the proof of purchase in the library? I can't afford 'corrupted' files. I need them all top open again. Following the archive I had things opened very strange...I had to open with text edit, then copy and paste Word, or Pages. Also, if I install HIgh Sierra after the move, will that interfere with opening docs or corruption because the OS changed? Would it be better to just move over documents, install High Sierra, and then move the remaining items?

Dec 18, 2017 8:51 AM in response to pjdxxxwa

What Library are you referring to? As Barney and I have both posted, there should be a local copy on your computer with the possible exception if you have Optimization selected.

The files should be on your computer outside of the archive folder. The archive is sort of a backup.

If you plan to upgrade, I would install High Sierra first, if that is an option.

Before doing anything, you should consider having at least 2 backups on 2 separate drives as hard drives do fail.

How do I move all Original content and data from the Cloud, to the iMac (Sierra OS 10.12.6) Hard Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.