Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New mac won't maintain WPA2 personal wifi hotspot

I upgraded my mac again this year after the previous one took a dump (seems to be a thing more and more with newer and newer macs)

anyway, so I go to set it up as my new wifi hotspot - secured as a typical wpa2 personal (only choice now)

and then fire up the internet sharing. Every time i do it, it tosses out the security and shows up as an open - naked and exposed - wifi for all the world to ride and mess with.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've trouble shot it with an apple expert down to the terminal and still has the problem.. As far as i know - it's probably been this way since day one but i didn't notice right away.

Only solution - unacceptable - haven't tried is a complete reinstall as a new user to see if that fixes it.

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 7:49 PM

8 replies

Dec 29, 2017 2:37 PM in response to Tesserax

the mini is hardwired from the modem via ethernet cable, then the mac mini is being set up as the wifi hotspot.

there are no routers involved.

sharing my internet connection on the WiFi

Would've just called it a day and use the speculum modem for that, but since they upgraded my modem, they told me they would charge me more to use it as such.

Dec 30, 2017 12:21 PM in response to lavapirate

Ok, I understand how you have your mini configured to share its Internet Ethernet connection to wireless. It appears that your ISP wants to charge you when you want to connect more than one device for Internet service.

Is the mini still having issues providing the wireless network? If so, when you have the mini connected by Ethernet AND do not have Internet Sharing enabled, does the mini have any issues staying connected to the Internet via the modem? Does your ISP require that you register your device's MAC address in order to access their service?

Dec 30, 2017 2:45 PM in response to Tesserax

not exactly... the cable provider wants to charge me more if i use THEIR modem as a hotspot. really lame. So I have my mini hooked up to it with ethernet, my TV, another device and another much older mac. on THAT mac i can only use the outdated WEP (not very secure) network as it's too old for WPA2... so although i have the warnings on all my devices that it's not especially secure, at least it has a password requirement, unlike my mini which won't maintain its WPA2 setting.

The internet provider doesn't require any registration of devices to use it... it's just plug and play.

New mac won't maintain WPA2 personal wifi hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.