Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my photos taken in live photo will not transfer to photos on my imac

Live Photo’s will not transfer to iPhoto on Imac

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 2:51 AM

iPhoto is too old. The development stopped, before Live Photos have been introduced on the iPhone. You need Photos 2.0 on El Capitan or a newer system to be able to import Live Photos and to play them.

Which version of MacOS X is running on your iMac?

11 replies

Dec 18, 2017 10:13 AM in response to Nfsimonson

I am not happy with my phone defaulting to Live Photo. There should be a setting to turn this annoying program off.

To change the default "Live Photo", go to Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings, then turn on Camera Mode.

Preserve camera settings. You can preserve the last camera mode and photo filter settings you used so they’re not reset when you next open Camera. Go to Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings, then turn on Camera Mode. You can also preserve Live Photo settings on models that support Live Photos.

You would need a Mac with High Sierra to be able to extract a different photo as a still frame from a Live Photo. And (sorry) my memory has been faulty. Photos on El Capitan does not support Live Photos, you need at least Photos 2.0 on Sierra.

If you import your photos with Image Capture instead of Photos, you will see a video and a still frame for each Live Photo. If you import the video to Photos, you can save a single frame of the video as an image file. See How to Extract Still Frames from a Live Photo in Photos for Mac.

Dec 18, 2017 9:50 AM in response to léonie

My iMac is running El Capitan. I also want to know if you can choose a key photo from Live Photo and then duplicate it. I want to delete the larger Live Photo files from my phone. I am not happy with my phone defaulting to Live Photo. There should be a setting to turn this annoying program off. I love taking photos, but have had a terrible experience with this app. I took 600 photos on a trip, and wanted to produce a dvd, all regular photos transferred, but no Live Photo’s did. Now I have to spend hours getting the photos I want in the right sequence. This is not the friendly apple experience I expected with my new phone! Help!

Jan 19, 2018 6:30 AM in response to collina

I do not use iCloud photo but photos do transfer to Photos via Photo Stream.

My Photo stream does only transfer the still frame of a Life Photos.

Once the Still frame of the Live Photo is in the Photos Library on your Mac, you cannot important the Live Photo at all, unless you delete the still frame from your library fully (empty Recently Deleted). After that, you should be able to import the Live Photo using a USB connection.

Feb 17, 2018 6:53 AM in response to Bryan Buehler

This is not a solution!?

It is all that Apple is offering right now. My Photo Stream has never been able to transfer videos, and Live Photos include a video component. You can transfer them wirelessly with iCloud Photo Library or using a wired connection.

You can also Air Drop them, but only one by one. I never tested is, because I am using iCloud Photo Library to keep my photos library identical on all devices.

Shared Photo Albums also will transfer your Live Photos, but at a reduced resolution, so shared albums are not really an option.

my photos taken in live photo will not transfer to photos on my imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.