Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes is recognizing my iphone as a new phone and prompting me to set up new iphone. My phone is not new and I would like to back it up but not from a previous back up.

When I plug in my iphone to my computer, itunes is recognizing my phone as a new iphone. I would like to backup my iphone but not to a previous back up. I don't know how to fix this problem.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 6:41 AM

That's normal if it's the first time you've connected it to iTunes. Choosing set up as new will NOT delete anything from your device and you can then create a backup as desired.

1 reply

iTunes is recognizing my iphone as a new phone and prompting me to set up new iphone. My phone is not new and I would like to back it up but not from a previous back up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.