Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac wont boot up out of recovery mode and wont let me erase start up disk w every terminal comand!

mac wont boot up out of recovery mode and wont let me erase start up disk w every terminal command!

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 11:04 PM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2017 11:13 AM in response to sjnesi

That is the problem, I cant restart out of recovery mode. Every time I go to restart, it wont see any disk to start up from, nothing appears in that window and when I shut down and restart , it starts back up in recovery mode without pressing any key.

Starts up with 4 choices, the choice of re install OS wont work- says disk is locked, and cant erase from the disk utilities, which is ultimately what I want to do.

With several terminal commands, I found on the internet, I cant do that either, since the disk wont "unmount" and allow me to erase in disk utility window.

Its my friends Imac mid 2011 on Yosemite, with a hard drive thats almost full. I have backed it all up successfully and she wants me to erase it and help her sell it.

Thanks so much for responding!

mac wont boot up out of recovery mode and wont let me erase start up disk w every terminal comand!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.