Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook screen turns grey and foggy when lowering brightness.

I am using a MacBook Pro Retina 13" on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1.

I wanted to turn up my keyboard brightness with F4 but it wasn't allowing me (it had a no symbol). So I went into settings and deselected "adjust keyboard brightness in low light". This allowed me to change my keyboard brightness.

But when I did this, my computer screen faded to a strange grey/foggy colour. When my screen brightness is in full - there is no issue. But when my screen brightness is lowered, then screen is hazy and grey (it is very clear when looking at blacks). What is happening and how can I change it back??

Also, a flag appeared in my top bar for keyboard preferences. I want to remove this (as i didn't have it before), but am not sure how.

I have inserted a photo of the differences of when my brightness is low and foggy, and high and clear. It is a lot more visible in real life the in the image.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 2:12 AM

Hello ashleyblowfish,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are having issues with your display brightness and an image quality issue with your display. I would start by resetting your SMC and NVRAM on your computer. The following support articles will provide you the steps if you needed a reminder:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

and

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

If those don't resolve your issue, then take a look at the steps provided in this support article:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

While this article specifically mentions "external displays" much of the steps provided will also apply to the display on your MacBook Pro.

Best regards.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 2:12 AM in response to ashleyblowfish

Hello ashleyblowfish,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are having issues with your display brightness and an image quality issue with your display. I would start by resetting your SMC and NVRAM on your computer. The following support articles will provide you the steps if you needed a reminder:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

and

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

If those don't resolve your issue, then take a look at the steps provided in this support article:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

While this article specifically mentions "external displays" much of the steps provided will also apply to the display on your MacBook Pro.

Best regards.

MacBook screen turns grey and foggy when lowering brightness.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.