Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I restore an old iPhoto Library from another computer's Time Machine backup on external drive?

• Recently our Time Capsule HD failed
  • Had been running Time Machine backups for a Desktop and a Mac Air for a couple of years
  • Most of the data from the TC was retrieved and is now on an external HD....but a crucial iPhoto Library is missing. This is a library we moved off the Mac Air to save space some time earlier this year
  • The sparsebundle file from this Mac Air appears and I'm hoping to restore an older version of the iPhoto library from before it was moved
  • Trying to access the Mac Air TM from a Desktop (running OS 10.11.6). The Mac Air was running OS 10.9.5.
  • I have been able to open TM using the Mac Air sparsebundle file but it doesn't show any back ups. Daisy Disk is telling me the sparsebundle file is 250Gb. The Mac Air is only 128Gb, so I'm hoping some of the older data is there.
  • Please help? 🙂

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 5:36 AM

Try using Migration Assistant (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant) on your Mac to move over data from the old Time Machine backup to your new Mac.

Even if the iPhoto Library does transfer over, there are some tricks....like holding down the option key on your Mac while you click to open iPhoto, to let the application look for a "new" image library. Post over in the iPhoto support area for tips and instructions from the iPhoto gurus.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2017 5:36 AM in response to markghalfwaycreek

Try using Migration Assistant (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant) on your Mac to move over data from the old Time Machine backup to your new Mac.

Even if the iPhoto Library does transfer over, there are some tricks....like holding down the option key on your Mac while you click to open iPhoto, to let the application look for a "new" image library. Post over in the iPhoto support area for tips and instructions from the iPhoto gurus.

How can I restore an old iPhoto Library from another computer's Time Machine backup on external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.