Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple battery chargers cable poor quality

Hi everybody, it doesn't seem as this topic has been raised before even if I believe that a lot of users are facing the same issue.

I have purchased a few battery chargers and all of them gets damaged really quickly, too quickly! Especially if you consider the cost of them!! 15 months ago I have bought two Lightning cables (2mt) in an Apple Store, I have been using one and the other was used by my mother and both are damaged close to the thunderbolt fitting. That last bit of cable seems to be very delicate and it seems the rubber is not resistant as the rest of the cable.

And this happens with all my 5 battery chargers!!

Is there any possibility to get it replaced?

Thank you.

null-OTHER, Lightning to USB Cable 2mt

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 4:53 AM

6 replies

Dec 18, 2017 6:01 AM in response to madra31

Hi madra,

I'm aware of the 1 year warranty by Apple, however I fail to understand howit can be that so many battery charger cables are failing shortly. Previously with my old Blackberry and Nokias I never had an issue with the cables!

I just believe the cables are of really poor manufacturing quality, if not poor quality material.

Dec 18, 2017 6:31 AM in response to GBMelvin

GBMelvin wrote:

Hi madra,

I'm aware of the 1 year warranty by Apple, however I fail to understand howit can be that so many battery charger cables are failing shortly. Previously with my old Blackberry and Nokias I never had an issue with the cables!

I just believe the cables are of really poor manufacturing quality, if not poor quality material.

If you believe that, then you need to take that up with Apple. It is not something anyone here in these user community forums can do anything about.

Dec 18, 2017 7:33 AM in response to GBMelvin

These forums are intended for people to post technical issues that other users can actual help with. They are not really intended as general discussion forums. And with 10’s to 100’s of millions of such cables in use around the world, you could never determine whether any given issues was common or not just from posts in a thread here.

I have lightening cables that are years old now (two received/bought with my iPhone 5 in 2012) and all still are fine and used regularly. I’ve yet to wear out, damage or need to replace a single lightening cable and I have many accumulated with iPhones and iPads over the past 5 years. Other people report having frequent failures or issues. None of it posted here says anything about how common nor how rare an issue is since posts here are an inherently biased sample of users (people typically only come here at all because they have a problem, not because they don’t have one).

The only productive thing you could do is take up your specific lightening cable issues with Apple.

Dec 18, 2017 7:46 AM in response to Michael Black

Thank you Michael,

again, I reiterate the fact that I wanted to understand whether this is a common issue, and I'm not talking about trying to figure a percentage of defective cables around the world. It is not a scientific approach, I'm not looking to it, I just wanted to touch base with the community.

I'm happy that your cables are all working fine and you didn't need to replace a single one. As you see it is also good to have your feedback about cables working fine. :-)

Apple battery chargers cable poor quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.