Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone - Safari - Google Search Not Working

When I open Safari and I type something in the bar to search (default search set to Google), it just keeps trying, but never pulls up any results. If I go into settings and change the search engine to any other search provider it works fine.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 8:59 AM

30 replies

Jan 25, 2018 11:45 AM in response to Stealx

Same here. If I type anything into the Safari browser bar which is essentially a google search, unless you type in a website, it does not work. 'Safari is unable to open web page' like no internet connection. But any other website works. Even typing www.google.com does not work. After few tries or 10 minutes it sometimes starts working. And I did not do apples sabotage update to an older model.

Jan 25, 2018 12:02 PM in response to Stealx

Hi Steal,

This troubleshooting step may help in relation to the WiFi/cell addition:

If you can't load a website or webpage, or Safari quits unexpectedly, follow these steps.

Connect to a different network

Try to load a website, like www.apple.com, using cellular data. If you don't have cellular data, try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network and then try loading the website.

Restart your device

Turn off your device and turn it on again.

Apr 30, 2018 11:43 PM in response to SLT_titus

Could this have something to do with DNS?

Is www.google.com reachable for you? If it is, then perhaps the issue is not DNS after all.

You can only manually set the DNS for Wi-Fi, not for cellular data. I presume the latter is set by the carrier. There is an app for that though, if you want to override those settings. [For reference: Google’s own public DNS servers]

Mar 15, 2018 12:00 AM in response to Stealx

Yea I had the same exact problem! I got the iPhone X back in December and what would happen was that when I was on data I could use apps or whatever (like Instagram or something) but if I wanted to use a search engine on safari (or a search engine app like the google app) it would not load and say “connectivity issues” or “redirecting” or something like that. I basically went into general settings- reset- reset network settings. Works like a charm now. The phone had to restart but nothing that i have seen has changed and I used it a couple times for practice and now I’m able to use search engines while on data and not WiFi. It seems to be going well it’s been working for the last couple days so hopefully this was the trick. Hope this helps!

Apr 30, 2018 11:46 PM in response to Moefromjhb

With exact same issue and too frustrating to see one of the “genius’”. I have found the answer I THINK.

Try this, it has worked for me so far.

Settings-safari-advanced-website data-Remove all website data

Once I did this, I turned off WiFi connections using only cellular LTE, which is the issue, Leaving google as the default, I searched and it worked immediately.

Good luck!

May 1, 2018 12:12 AM in response to SLT_titus

Spoke too soon, not working. Cannot use search bar If default browser is google. Cell only. As with others google works fine if I’m on wifi.

I’ve compared my settings to a good working iPhone, all Is the same, have deleted some apps, have also deleted or cleared history, website data, you name it. Totally stumped, need help to resolve.

May 26, 2018 1:50 PM in response to colin1514

So frustrating. I’ve now been to Apple to see a “genius.” They weren’t the slightest bit curious really. They said since I have always done a backup when buying new phones year after year, they suggested to not do that, just do a complete swipe of the phone then back up from the cloud contacts etc and hand select apps to do fresh downloads.

Jun 3, 2018 3:53 PM in response to Stealx

My son has an iPhone 6S model NKQN2LL/A and AT&T prepaid unlimited. Google website would load over WiFi, but not over cellular. No problem with google maps app, or any other website. No issues over WiFi.

Clearing the DNS cache did not fix the problem. Perhaps this fails to clear the address of google search. Perhaps AT&T DNS is not correctly resolving Google's address.

Installed the DNS override app from the app store. Used this to change the DNS server for both cellular and WiFi to OpenDNS ($2 in-app fee to be able to change the wireless). Fixed the problem!

https://www.dnsoverride.com/

iPhone - Safari - Google Search Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.