Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch series 3 heart rate problem

Regrads,

i have a problem, sometimes my Apple Watch series 3 while I'm running does not read enough heart rate,so in running app or activity app have no graph.While I'm running does not shows my heart rate state,on 10 km,for example it shows only 3-4 times, this is not enough for graph.

Maybe is problem sweat?

Also another problem, on the same route every time shows different distance, even when my iPhone is near.

Have a solution?

Thank you

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 11:51 AM

Hi

Heart rate

Apple advises that, even under ideal conditions, Apple Watch may not be able to record a reliable heart rate reading every time for everybody.

For the best performance from the heart rate sensor during workouts, ensure that you wear your watch snugly (but not too tightly) on the top of your wrist, as you have indicated that you are already doing. Apple suggests that you consider tightening the band before starting a workout and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular (eg boxing) movements. Other issues that can impact sensor performance include skin perfusion and wrist tattoos:

For any workouts that involve flexing your wrists - such as when lifting weights - it may help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint.

It may also help to check that the back of your Apple Watch is clean (along with your wrist, which I'm sure is the case):

Cleaning your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you continue to experience issues with recording your heart rate during workouts, then, for more consistent readings, you may wish to consider pairing an external heart rate monitor / Bluetooth chest strap to your Apple Watch:

Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Distance

The following steps may help:

Check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Reset your existing calibration data and recalibrate your Apple Watch:

• Calibration can improve the accuracy of estimations made by Activity app and Workout app, including when GPS reception is not available.
  • More information and instructions are available via the link below:
  • Resetting your calibration data and following detailed instructions for calibrating your Apple Watch can be equally as helpful for Series 3 models and will not erase your Activity history.

Be sure to allow the arm on which you are wearing your Apple Watch to swing naturally during relevant workouts (and also during calibration).

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2017 11:51 AM in response to nenonovak

Hi

Heart rate

Apple advises that, even under ideal conditions, Apple Watch may not be able to record a reliable heart rate reading every time for everybody.

For the best performance from the heart rate sensor during workouts, ensure that you wear your watch snugly (but not too tightly) on the top of your wrist, as you have indicated that you are already doing. Apple suggests that you consider tightening the band before starting a workout and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular (eg boxing) movements. Other issues that can impact sensor performance include skin perfusion and wrist tattoos:

For any workouts that involve flexing your wrists - such as when lifting weights - it may help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint.

It may also help to check that the back of your Apple Watch is clean (along with your wrist, which I'm sure is the case):

Cleaning your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you continue to experience issues with recording your heart rate during workouts, then, for more consistent readings, you may wish to consider pairing an external heart rate monitor / Bluetooth chest strap to your Apple Watch:

Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Distance

The following steps may help:

Check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Reset your existing calibration data and recalibrate your Apple Watch:

• Calibration can improve the accuracy of estimations made by Activity app and Workout app, including when GPS reception is not available.
  • More information and instructions are available via the link below:
  • Resetting your calibration data and following detailed instructions for calibrating your Apple Watch can be equally as helpful for Series 3 models and will not erase your Activity history.

Be sure to allow the arm on which you are wearing your Apple Watch to swing naturally during relevant workouts (and also during calibration).

May 5, 2018 8:06 AM in response to dzauha

I believe it's software as well. I have found the Workout app gets sluggish to load once in a while which is my first indication it will have issues. When this happens the heart rate is recorded sporadically or not at all. If I start a workout I now wait for it to display the heart rate. If it doesn't show it in 10-20 seconds I restart the watch. Once restarted it has no problems recording the heart rate for the workout.

Leave Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 20, 2017 11:55 AM in response to nenonovak

Hi,

i solved the distance problem and thank you.

with heart rate I'm disappointed,for example today I was running an after 5 km its just stop working, or is way under accurate.

Can you tell me which external heart rate monitor / Bluetooth chest strap is compatible to Apple Watch ?

I think that the heart rate sensor on Apple Watch could be more accurate and stability during exercise,still this is a sport watch.

Thank you.

Dec 31, 2017 8:29 AM in response to Gabriel Logan

Gabriel Logan wrote:

Hi,

I have the exact same issue.

I followed all the Apple recommendations about heart rate measurement.

During bike and running, the heart rate reading is often off and then the chart show some long periods of time with no measurement...

I have an AW Nike+ Series 3.

If you have the exact same issue, then the exact same reply also applies, including the suggestion to consider pairing an external heart rate monitor / Bluetooth chest strap to your Apple Watch.

Feb 11, 2018 4:35 AM in response to nenonovak

I've been having the same issue ever since I got my 3 series watch when it first came out. For several years I tracked my workouts (varied: tennis, running, HIIT, lifting, cycling, swimming) with a Polar H7 chest strap and the motifit app.

My heart rate was always tracked very consistently, and also the readings were instantaneous (i.e. if I was jogging and started sprinting, within 5-6 seconds, I'd see the increase in Heart Rate on my motifit app from, say 155bpm to 170bpm).

Fast forward to using my Apple Watch, and the readings are so inconsistent I stopped even looking at my watch for readings while working out (a main reason why I bought the watch in the first place). I have used several apps to track my heart rate including Zones and Fitiv. With both apps, my heart rate tracking while exercising is wildly inconsistent. For example, I'll be jogging, and my heart rate will read 81bpm, then a minute later 69bpm, when I have done nothing different. I'll start sprinting, and it will take over a minute for the watch to pick up on an elevated heart rate (sometimes it never even picks it up), and even then, sometimes the reading is wildly off- 187bpm (if it ever got that high, I'd probably be in cardiac arrest). I have tried all of the troubleshooting that Apple has recommended: tightening the strap, loosening the strap, wearing it on the other wrist, unpairing/repairing, turning it off/on again. I've tried different straps, cleaned the back of the watch even though it looks clean, and nothing seems to have helped.

It's really frustrating that a watch touted for being a great workout companion can't even monitor your heart rate consistently and accurately.

Yesterday I exercised hard for an hour and 5 minutes, and my the zones app installed on my Apple Watch said I burned 200 calories. Just to compare, the previous day, I did a very similar workout using my old Polar H7 chest strap and it said I burned 450 calories. Come on, Apple...

Feb 19, 2018 5:11 PM in response to Razoirarc

Same for me, very frustrating. The times that I need the heart rate monitor to work it doesn‘t, and I’m talking about just a simple 35-40 minute brisk walk. Walk for 35 minutes and when I’m done it only shows about 15. So the suggested solutions (after trying everything else) are either do a “other” workout or get an external monitor. Neither solution is acceptable when I’ve paid $300 for a watch specifically for the purpose of recording workouts.

Feb 19, 2018 5:23 PM in response to nenonovak

Nenonovak,

I posted earlier, but I have new info.

After A LOT of testing we believe the issue is in the software. My Apple Watch 3 under normal use records heart rates just fine. Elevate the workout and for some reason the Apple Watch stops recording the heart rate.

I recently came across a piece of software called Zones. First, I am in no way associate with this software, so I am not a spokes person. I installed the Zones software and set it up. After several days of using the Zones software on the Apple Watch 3, I have not had a single data failure. As a matter of fact, I have been able to collect MUCH more accurate data than with the Health software provided by Apple. I have all the data funnel into a couple common apps on the iPhone and now I have complete data. The Zones app cost me $4.99, but it also fixed my issue. Workouts work great now, heart rate is complete and accurate, and I am able to see trend data.

Again, from what we see, the issue is not in the sensors, but in the software. The sensors are reading the heart rate, it is the software that is not compiling and transferring the data.

Just a quick update, but I do believe my issue is fixed...I just had to stop relying on the Apple software.

I hope this helps. Yes, it is very frustrating to hear that a $300 piece of equipment will do something, and then find out it doesn't. You shouldn't have to spend more money, but it is only $4.99. Come on Apple, either fix your software or reimburse us for having to use software that actually works.

Apr 17, 2018 8:37 PM in response to dzauha

Very disappointed Apple. My series 1 worked perfectly for years so I decide to upgrade to the Series 3. I immediately discover that the heart rate sensor is faulty. As an athlete I rely on the accuracy of your product. The fact that you do not own up to this is pathetic and a sorry excuse for customer service. My Apple loyalty may be coming to an end very soon.

May 5, 2018 5:50 AM in response to ivanfromlanseria

You may be correct about missing short duration changes. Your Apple Watch is designed to sample (snapshot) heart rate at intervals rather than maintaining a continuous tracing. This is a balance between more frequent measurements, or better battery life. If you look at the “recommended” reply earlier in the thread by Jonathan UK and follow the links you will see Apple specifically mentions steady exercise as providing more consistent records.

If you need better accuracy over short periods you should probably consider a purpose made accessory more suitable to your style of exercise.

May 5, 2018 6:05 AM in response to Branta_uk

Thx. I must point out that my Apple Watch v1 worked perfectly. Difficult to understand why the performance would deteriorate with a new model. Also don’t understand why it lost the heart rate at exactly the same place on the loop every time when going up the stairs where the heart rate is climbing. Seems like it is programmed to disconnect when the heart rate climbs too quickly!

May 5, 2018 8:05 AM in response to ivanfromlanseria

Apple Support, when are you going to take responsibility for this issue? It is clearly not isolated or a user error. A large percentage of users posting here had series 1 and series 2 watches that did not have this problem. If it is hardware related, it is time for Apple to do the right thing and release this information .

Thank You

An Apple Device user of over 10 years...

May 5, 2018 8:27 AM in response to Branta_uk

This would make sense if the issue existed with the series 1 and 2, but it did not. This issue is present while running, using an elliptical, doing yoga and pretty much all of the other exercises I partake in. A simple Google search will show many others having the same issue that also state that this did not exist with their older watches. One user here even mentions purchasing a third-party app correcting the issue for him. I’m not really interested in hearing Apple’s excuses any longer.

Apple Watch series 3 heart rate problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.