Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find any hidden apps that may have been put on my locked iphone without my knowledge? Or any other spyware that coud be logging what I do on my phone? I do Not have access to a computer, only ipad and iphone.

I have an iPhonr 6s and Believe there may be some kind of app or spywarr on my phone. Its been acting funky. Thank you

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.1, null

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 6:37 PM

17 replies

Dec 19, 2017 6:44 AM in response to Rclwagner

see this article if you have lent your phone to someone you trusted who used your phone for 10 minutes and they installed tracking app from the App Store.

How to delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

See also

Reset your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

If you have required a password to make purchases then anyone using your iOS device would need to know that password to their download any app from the app store. If you willingly give this information out perhaps the caveats of providing the means to manage this device by someone else that tied to your personal information has not been fully grasped by you and you should consider a smart device that is less intrusive.

User uploaded file

Dec 18, 2017 6:42 PM in response to Rclwagner

You can check what apps have been purchase in the App Store app. Second last tab at the bottom, 'Updates'. Then press in the top right the small circle which represents your account. Then select "Purchase" and review all Apps that have been purchased with that phone even if they are not installed.

It's highly unlikely that this has happened as there are no spyware apps available in the App Store.

Dec 18, 2017 6:50 PM in response to munkymajik

If you let someone have it unlocked, and they were able to connect it to a computer they can bypass the App Store and install malware, jailbreak it, all sorts of things. Or if you’d used the store and have the passcode prompt set to 15 minutes or such they could install something from the App Store within that access time limit.

But if you keep your phone locked when not in use and don’t let people use it unlocked and alone for long periods of time, nothing has been put on it.

Dec 19, 2017 4:24 AM in response to Rclwagner

Rclwagner wrote:

I had a rogue roomate that had easy access to my phone and my finger while I was sleeping. I didnt know they were this deviate until months after they had been iin my home. I lnow there are apps out there thay you can install and track everything someone is doing AND hide it so they dont know.

There are no such apps in Apple’s App Store, so they’d have had to jailbreak it to install such spyware.

If concerned about it, just restore it as new in iTunes or execute an erase all content and settings from the settings app. Then when it reboots, set it all up as new, not from any backup you made since you suspected this activity.

A restore as new or erase all will wipe it completely and restore it back to the welcome screen and set up menu. If it has been hacked, that is your only way to remove spyware or malware, and give you confidence it’s gone.

Dec 19, 2017 4:28 AM in response to munkymajik

munkymajik wrote:

Can you install malware if it isn't jailbroken?

Potentially, if you use a method to install outside of the App Store. The problem with doing that is you effectively grant the installer root access, and have no way of knowing what other code is bundled with an app installer from some web site or anonymous download. It is why so-called side loading is not supported by Apple and strongly discouraged. You may well get the non-App Store app you wanted, but may also get a lot of other things at the same time. And you will have no knowledge of ”the other things”.

How do I find any hidden apps that may have been put on my locked iphone without my knowledge? Or any other spyware that coud be logging what I do on my phone? I do Not have access to a computer, only ipad and iphone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.