Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina Nvidia Drivers (macOS 10.13)

Hello,

I've been using macs since 2004 and iPhones/ipads since their release.

This is a bit of a frustrating message I'm going to post, with a question and hopefully someone can provide a solution.

It's normal that any operating system release sees bugs and subsequent releases fixes those. But with the recent advent of bugs and problems plaguing slightly older hardware (see iPhone 6, 6s and 7 with iOS https://tinyurl.com/y8ld3zlj) it is absolutely mind-boggling that Apple would allow a release of High Sierra macOS 10.13 without warning people who have MacBook Pro Retinas (mine is a late 2013) with Nvidia GT 750M that Nvidia still hasn't released a compatible driver to work well with macOS 10.13. So I've been using a subpar machine since the release of High Sierra because Apple/Nvidia or Nvidia/Apple haven't upheld their part of keeping machines up to date.

Last year we had a bit of a similar problem and I posted a discussion about this (which prompted an Apple engineer to call me directly btw), and it was resolved in a matter of a couple weeks from the time Sierra was released last year. But this year is beyond ridiculous (first that it happened again, and second that it's taking this long). Here's a post of last year's (exact same) problem with Sierra macOS Sierra & NVIDIA GPU

Either Apple should say macOS sierra is not fully compatible with MacBook Pro Retina laptops before 2015 for example or should at least warn us to hold off. Nvidia's cuda website driver list doesn't point to anything being available http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html and neither Apple support nor Nvidia are helpful. It is beyond infuriating, and I'm not going to just buy a $3000+ machine because I already have one that beats a lot of the current geek bench scores of new MacBooks.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to do and how to solve this?

Years ago, me and my friends joked about apple getting too big for its own good and turning into another microsoft, though it's not fully there yet, the last few years, the symptoms have gotten worse and I'm afraid we're well on our way.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), null

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 2:41 AM

Hello. I have the same problem. Many solutions have been proposed on the net. Most seem tedious and fragile. I hope Apple is working hard on it. One of the main reasons to use a mac is precisely not having to deal with this kind of problem, especially when we do nothing other than the recommended updates and to use only legally purchased products.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2018 2:41 AM in response to Nicolas Online

Hello. I have the same problem. Many solutions have been proposed on the net. Most seem tedious and fragile. I hope Apple is working hard on it. One of the main reasons to use a mac is precisely not having to deal with this kind of problem, especially when we do nothing other than the recommended updates and to use only legally purchased products.

Jan 8, 2018 8:50 AM in response to Nicolas Online

I completely agree,

I have a rMBP early 2013 model with a 1GB Nvidia 650gt discreet card as well as Intel HD4000 on board gpu, both graphics cards cannot handle anything much in High Sierra, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign feel as though you are working through treacle, so slow. Other apps such as Predict Wind and the website windy.com, both give approx 2 frames per second... not good enough for smooth animation, in fact the whole computer seemed to bog down and wouldn't register mouse or keyboard clicks for 10 or 20 seconds at a time, no matter which GPU I am using.

Over Christmas I backed up my laptop and wiped and reinstalled Sierra, 10.12, from an install USB thumb drive I created.

Everything is better, Adobe CC is all back to normal speed, predict wind and windy.com give 40+ frames per second now, the only thing different is the OS. It's amazing how slow High Sierra was, with 16GB ram, SSD and a quad core i7 it should be pretty quick.

The requirements though for High Sierra claim it should run on MacBook Pros from 2010... I would have thought machines from 2013 would cope with it easily.

I don't know if things are improved in the latest beta for High Sierra, 10.13.3, If they are, when it is released I may install it, until then, I'll stick with my 'full speed' Sierra Mac.

My suggestion, it takes time, is back up, wipe and reinstall Sierra until Apple can fix High Sierra or admit it is not compatible.

Feb 16, 2018 7:30 AM in response to Nicolas Online

Hi all in this thread, this is not the first time this Cuda Issue has occurred on my MB Pro 2013. It has happened at least twice, in fact I had to remove Cuda, due to GPU code conflicts with Adobe Premier 2017 at the time, before it went all CC on us all. Adobe are being a pain in the rear currently I spent over 5 hrs trying to resolve yesterday, in the end I reverted to updating my 12.1 OSX to 13.1 OSX as a possible fix to the OpenGL issue that Adobe Premier Pro & Adobe Media Encoder is experiencing on exports. No-one on Adobe Support has a clue, they just escalate you to another person who then dumps you in the chat window... I will say that Apple Support where very supportive yesterday for me & I understand that they are going to approach the App Developer ie Adobe directly on this for a better way of managing this..... Oh and I am cancelling my Adobe Membership as well now, as I have had enough after 3 years of Adobe playing games with individuals and businesses alike.... Sorry if this feels like a rant at Adobe..... nVidia are doing it right, OpenGL are doing it right, Apple are even doing it right....

MacBook Pro Retina Nvidia Drivers (macOS 10.13)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.