Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search not working in Photos High Sierra

I have 5000 photos on my MacBook 12 Retina, these are shared on my iPhone and iPad.

I have just tried to bring up a photo of my dog, of which I have hundreds of photos. So I opened photo on my Mac, typed "dog" into the search and returned no results. Which is strange as it worked fine last week.

I also tried searching for "Car", "Boat", "Cake", "House" and lots of other things I have photos of, but they all returned no results. I did all the above searches on my iPad and iPhone and they worked perfectly. Searching "dog" on my iPhone returned 371 results, yet I get zero results on my Mac with the same library?

Does anybody know why I can no longer search for a photo on my MacBook?

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 10:51 PM

17 replies

Dec 19, 2017 10:54 AM in response to DarrenWilkes

How long ago has it been, since you upgraded to High Sierra?

The classification algorithm for categories changed considerably with the High Sierra upgrade. An that is why all photos in your library will need scanning again for faces and categories. The first few days after the upgrade you will not see many recognized objects, when you search for categories, but if you let your Mac run over night and give it time to scan your photos, the search will be back to normal after a week or so (depending on the size of your library).

Dec 20, 2017 10:51 AM in response to léonie

I upgraded to high Sierra a while back and its worked since. I have now had 5 calls to AppleCare, we have just reinstalled the operating system and then booted from my last time machine back up. It took all day!

Finally when I opened my photos app. The problem was not solved. I still can't search.

This is really annoying and upsetting, I have 5000 photos and it now takes me ages to find an individual photo. I will continue with Apple care and see if they can solve this, but if anyone in the mean time can help please get in touch.

Dec 20, 2017 11:00 AM in response to DarrenWilkes

If you just reinstalled Photos and started over with the library from the backup, you are back to square one and the scan for categories will need to run again. For my library with 50000 photos it took more than a week. My library is an iCloud Photo Library, but all photos are stored locally on the internal SSD, not optimized, so Photos can access them quickly.

Jan 16, 2018 5:57 AM in response to 007Merlin

I just tried creating a new Photos library, loading some photos in and giving them different titles. The search function is working perfectly so maybe I just need to export all the photos from the old library and import them to the new one. Very boring and time consuming but I can't find another way of fixing this problem. Macs are supposed to be user friendly but this latest upgrade just seems to have broken things.

Jan 16, 2018 6:21 AM in response to DarrenWilkes

I also tried searching for "Car", "Boat", "Cake", "House" and lots of other things I have photos of, but they all returned no results. I did all the above searches on my iPad and iPhone and they worked perfectly. Searching "dog" on my iPhone returned 371 results, yet I get zero results on my Mac with the same library?

I have two identical MacBook Pros, syncing with iCloud Photo Library. After the High Sierra Upgrade to version 10.13.2 the search for categories stopped working on both of them. On on of them it came back after the scan for categories finished, on the second one not. Two weeks ago I gave up and deleted the library from the Mac, where the category search no longer worked, and downloaded the library again from iCloud. It took ten days until all original image files have been downloaded again from iCloud Photo Library, but once the library had been completely restored from iCloud Photo library and the originals had been scanned for faces and categories again, the search for categories is working well again on that Mac.

Jan 28, 2018 12:50 AM in response to léonie

The same here.

I also set up a new photos library file and set it to system library (iCloud)

Faces, paces, everything works fine, but searching in categories is still broken.

The iPhone with the same settings finds about 600 seaside pictures and the Mac only 5.

80 dogs on iPhone 3 on the Mac.

Totally broken.

The funny part is, that the seaside memories contain about 600 pictures, so in general, the content detection seems to be fine.

I hope Apple is reading this, because it needs to be fixed, because the search is absolutely great with 75k photos.

Search not working in Photos High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.