Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X has a hairline crack on the back

My iPhone X has a hairline crack on the back and I ha eng dropped it at all once. If Apple inspects it and sees for themselves it’s a manufacture defect, will they repair it for free?

Posted on Dec 19, 2017 9:04 PM

4 replies

Dec 26, 2017 11:14 PM in response to Priya-g2001

This is interesting. I'm dealing with this problem now. Apple replaced my phone and said they were not going to charge me (in writing). Then AppleCare charged my credit card and sent me a receipt. Right now I'm dealing with a nightmarish Apple that is on the defensive, and no longer really thinking about the customer the way they used to. Cae in point: My iPhone X slipped out of my hand about 5-7 centimeters (about 2 and half inches) above my IKEA $100 desk lamp with built-in wireless charging. My lamp is made of birch wood. The iPhone made contact with the charging lamp on the edge, and the inside of the glass on the back chipped.

Technically, I can see why the rep made an exception: There is no direct "point of impact" damage, but there's a hairline crack on the back glass. He saw macro photos I took of this when considering whether to make an exception.

Apple Customer Relations is now arguing that they will refund me my money, but that they said it should still count against my AppleCare+ claims. I'm arguing that it should not: When you make an exception and not charge the customer, that implicitly confirms that it's not a claim. If it were, they should explain that up front. They had the pictures at the time.

Make sure you treat AppleCare like the troll on the bridge, or the genie in the bottle. Get it in writing and get it clear. They'll argue you to death otherwise, with a lot of energy output on their side, which is very sad.

Separate, but related:

I think Apple meant really well with the design of the X. But I think it's an interesting design that says a lot about today's Apple. Steve Jobs once said that Apple University was established to make sure that some core concepts at Apple didn't get lost, so that they could remain part of the Apple DNA. One of those concepts was creating designs that were beautiful and functional. And functional is defined by the user, not the designer. I think they missed the mark on the iPhone X. Universities can educate people well beyond their IQ. I think this is a design that shouldn't have left the nest.

I also speak as someone who has personally bought more than 100 iPhones, for employees, and for my family. I have owned two iPhones at a time (one for Japan, one for the US) personally for over 7 years, because the phones are on separate systems and I couldn't just swap sims.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone X has a hairline crack on the back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.