Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Photoshop transparency file

I made some single layer Photoshop files with transparency using Affinity Photo and Pixelmator Pro.

I make the files as HD 1920x1080 with transparency. I paint something on the layer and export in PSD format.

When I bring the PSDs into FCP, the content of the file is usually offset and not in the correct place. FCP says the file is 1920x1080. I make a project with a 1920x1080 file; FCP gives that as the size. When I put the PSD files in the project, info still shows them as 1920x1080, but they don't fill the frame. They smaller than the frame. Spatial conform is set to none, and the images aren't scaled in Transform.

Could someone try this and see if they are having the same results? I don't use Photoshop, so it's possible the problem is in the graphics application, though surprising that the two are producing similar behavior.

Thanks very much.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Late 2016 15" 2.7 GHz i7 16 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 9:30 AM

22 replies

Dec 20, 2017 11:03 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

There is something not working well if the psd file has a single layer.

User uploaded file

This is a shot of the browser with two psd files. They should look identical, but don't.

The second one has two layers and shows correctly (an orange border with transparency in the middle). The first has a single layer and comes out as above (in the browser and in the viewer).

(Note: I just added an empty layer to make the second file from the first)

Dec 20, 2017 11:05 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Tried in 10.4 in Sierra and got the same results.

Pixelmator Pro PSD file in the project viewer

User uploaded file

Affinity Photo PSD file in the project window

User uploaded file

They come placed in the lower right like this when appended. Notice the bottom of the AP file is clipped, and the bottom right of the Pixelmator file is clipped.

Weirdness they look clipped in the browser as well, but the content is centered

User uploaded file

if I skim over it the content drops into the lower right corner

User uploaded file

Dec 20, 2017 8:47 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

unfortunately, have to confirm your observation PLUS things are even worse:

User uploaded file

my example, in Pixelmator…

exported as png = all fine:

User uploaded file

but in psd format:

User uploaded file

A) shrunk, B) off axis!!

I can repair that by manually resetting x/y to 0 and scale to 200% 😟

now, just for fun, I created another project, selecting 150dpi instead of 72dpi…

(yep, I'm the loudest&first yelling "no such thing as dots per inch in video making!" but …)

User uploaded file

that is the 150 dpi psd, and that …

User uploaded file

arrghgh!! Different off-values!! Depending of dpi settings!

And, diff. topic, but perhaps a coincidence:

A friend told me about issues with some pdfs due to a new internal pdfkit of OS since Sierra …

ahh, and to mention:

exported the same file from within PixelmatorPro = same issues.

Finally, indeed, adding an (empty), 2nd layer = no misbehaves …

forgot to mention: macOS HS, FCPX10_4 …

hmmm? something seriously kaputt …

Dec 20, 2017 2:11 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I have had issues with PSD files in FCPX for a long time, especially when FCPX was upgraded. I have done entire projects where everything was perfect and then when I went back to them after an update everything was screwed up. I started using png files for transparency and jpg for full screen and I have not had any issues since. It's easy enough to retain a PSD file as the working file and just export it to the necessary format.

Dec 20, 2017 7:13 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

PSDs are a proprietary file format and Adobe can change the details of it at any time. There is an option in PS preferences to Maximize Compatibility of saved files. This helps with other outside applications that can "open" PSDs (100% compatibility can never be guaranteed but they generally work). Have you checked that yet? Your other apps (Affinity and Pixelmator) are using that compatibility mode file format (it's their only option).

Problem with Photoshop transparency file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.