Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect my Apple Watch to my car

When I am in the car w/o my phone, can I sync my watch with my phone so that I am hands free?

Apple Watch Stainless Steel 42mm (1st Gen), watchOS 3.2.3

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 10:15 AM

Hi

Whilst some users have reported success with pairing Apple Watch with certain car Bluetooth systems, Apple advises that iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are the only devices that are designed for use with car audio systems.

Apple Watch can be paired with compatible Bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth speakers, but it is not designed to be paired with car audio systems:

If you would like to submit a feature request to Apple, then you can do so here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 10:15 AM in response to jerry1959

Hi

Whilst some users have reported success with pairing Apple Watch with certain car Bluetooth systems, Apple advises that iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are the only devices that are designed for use with car audio systems.

Apple Watch can be paired with compatible Bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth speakers, but it is not designed to be paired with car audio systems:

If you would like to submit a feature request to Apple, then you can do so here:

Dec 28, 2017 8:03 PM in response to jerry1959

This is very disappointing from Apple. The Watch has had Bluetooth since the Series 1, but it won't connect with a car? So I can make and receive phone calls with a Series 3 / Cellular, but not with the car audio system? I can play music on Air Pods, but not the car?

I contacted support and the answer was "here's all the things you can do...". What they don't say until pressed is that these are the ONLY things you can do. If it's not on the list, you can't do it.

Jan 20, 2018 8:49 AM in response to Jonathan UK

If there is a particular reason for this position (not supporting car bluetooth) I'd like to get a more specific explanation on why it doesn't work. The inability of the Apple Watch Series 3 LTE to connect with car bluetooth is a problem which negates from the purpose of wearing the watch on the go. My Samsung Gear S3 LTE works flawlessly with my cars bluetooth (as do every other device I've tried).

Jan 20, 2018 9:17 AM in response to Mike.Warren

You're welcome!

As I hoped to explain in my first reply, Apple Watch is not designed to work with car audio systems.

Apple advises that iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are currently the only devices that are designed for use with car audio systems.

I suggest submitting feedback if you would prefer such functionality to be supported:

Jan 22, 2018 11:32 AM in response to Mike.Warren

Okay I worked with Apple Support and the official position is just as Jonathan UK stated. For the Apple Watch Series 3 LTE, Apple only supports bluetooth connectivity with headhones, speakers, iPhone's, and Nike+. Other bluetooth devices are not expected to work. I suspect there is a problem in the Apple Watch hardware itself which would explain such limited support. Oh well.

Connect my Apple Watch to my car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.