Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone battery drain with new apple watch

I have an Apple Watch series 3 (gps only) and since I got it I have noticed that the battery on the watch is great but my iPhone 6s has been draining way faster. Has anybody else noticed this? Is there a way to fix or minimize the drain. (have owned the watch for less than a week, the phone is years old)

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2018 4:16 AM

Hi

If battery drain on your iPhone is higher than expected after pairing an Apple Watch to it, then it may help to follow these steps (check after each):

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Check which apps are responsible for battery usage:

• Go to: Settings > Battery > under Battery Usage, select the Last 24 Hours tab.
  • Address any issues with potentially problematic apps (such as by removing and reinstalling them).

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch, turning both off together and then restarting your iPhone first:

Follow Apple's tips for maximising battery life on your iPhone, as detailed here:

If you have ever (not necessarily recently) previously used the Workout app and/or any third-party fitness, sleep and/or heart rate tracking apps on your watch, check on your Apple Watch to see whether there is an active or paused session within any of them.

• If there is, end that activity from within the app on your Apple Watch (not your iPhone).
  • If in doubt, it may help remove any such third-party apps from your Apple Watch, at least temporarily.

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

Some users have previously experienced battery life issues in connection with using corporate profiles and/or Exchange Calendars. If you are using an Exchange Calendar, one or more of these steps may help:

• Archive your Exchange Calendar for all items before today.
  • Remove / delete all old inbox messages relating to calendar invites (accept and decline notifications).
  • Create a rule in your Outlook Mail account that moves all future accept and decline replies, immediately upon receipt, into a separate mail folder that does not sync with your iPhone and Apple Watch.
  • Check your Exchange Calendar for errors.

Test by changing notification settings and/or by removing watch face complications and third-party apps:

Having tried the previous steps, if your remain concerned that battery life on your iPhone is shorter than it should be, then I suggest contacting Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), making a Genius Bar reservation or visiting an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2018 4:16 AM in response to wheelz20

Hi

If battery drain on your iPhone is higher than expected after pairing an Apple Watch to it, then it may help to follow these steps (check after each):

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Check which apps are responsible for battery usage:

• Go to: Settings > Battery > under Battery Usage, select the Last 24 Hours tab.
  • Address any issues with potentially problematic apps (such as by removing and reinstalling them).

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch, turning both off together and then restarting your iPhone first:

Follow Apple's tips for maximising battery life on your iPhone, as detailed here:

If you have ever (not necessarily recently) previously used the Workout app and/or any third-party fitness, sleep and/or heart rate tracking apps on your watch, check on your Apple Watch to see whether there is an active or paused session within any of them.

• If there is, end that activity from within the app on your Apple Watch (not your iPhone).
  • If in doubt, it may help remove any such third-party apps from your Apple Watch, at least temporarily.

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

Some users have previously experienced battery life issues in connection with using corporate profiles and/or Exchange Calendars. If you are using an Exchange Calendar, one or more of these steps may help:

• Archive your Exchange Calendar for all items before today.
  • Remove / delete all old inbox messages relating to calendar invites (accept and decline notifications).
  • Create a rule in your Outlook Mail account that moves all future accept and decline replies, immediately upon receipt, into a separate mail folder that does not sync with your iPhone and Apple Watch.
  • Check your Exchange Calendar for errors.

Test by changing notification settings and/or by removing watch face complications and third-party apps:

Having tried the previous steps, if your remain concerned that battery life on your iPhone is shorter than it should be, then I suggest contacting Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), making a Genius Bar reservation or visiting an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Dec 21, 2017 1:20 PM in response to wheelz20

Hello wheelz20,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see that you've noticed your iPhone battery decreasing faster after pairing with your new Apple Watch. It's important to make sure that you have great battery life on all of your devices, so I'm happy to provide some support.

I suggest going through the steps in this support article to check the app usage on your iPhone:
About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

There are also tips in this support article that will help you adjust setting to improve the battery life.

Let me know if this helps.

Have an amazing day!

iphone battery drain with new apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.