Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 3 & Running on Treadmill

Hi all,

So I recently got the Apple Watch and I have been using it to track my workouts at the gym. When I do cardio, I usually run on the Treadmill and begin an Indoor Run workout on my Watch. However, I have noticed that the distances reported by the Apple Watch are not the same as the distances reported by the Treadmill. I have logged almost 2 hours in indoor run workouts using my Apple Watch, and I have overall noticed that when the treadmill reports ~0.87 of a mile, the Apple Watch is reporting 1 mile. This is pretty consistent across all my runs, and the discrepancy just gets worse the longer I run (usually if I run longer, the separation between the reported values will also start to get larger as the Apple Watch continues to think I have run a lot more). Obviously, the Treadmill is the most accurate in this case, so is there a way to calibrate the Apple Watch Series 3 accordingly?

Also—when I run, I usually run on an incline so I technically burn more calories than just running on a flat surface. The Apple Watch reports that I have burned fewer calories than what the Treadmill reports because I think the Apple Watch doesn’t take in line into account. In this case, which is more accurate—the watch or the treadmill?

Thank you!

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2017 10:50 AM

Hi

It is not possible to manually calibrate Apple Watch to a treadmill's reported results.

Apple Watch can pair and sync with compatible gym equipment, by following the instructions here:

Use gym equipment with Apple Watch

It may otherwise help to calibrate your Apple Watch, including resetting any existing calibration data.

Calibration teaches your Apple Watch how your arm movements relate to your stride lengths at different speeds when you are walking and/or running. It does this, during outdoor walk and/or outdoor run workouts that are recorded via the Workout app, by comparing data from the accelerometer with GPS (Location Services) data.

To calibrate your Apple Watch - and to reset existing calibration data - follow the instructions here:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Resetting your calibration data can be equally as helpful for Series 2 & 3 models and will not erase your Activity history.

For the best results, be sure to allow the arm on which you are wearing your Apple Watch to swing naturally during treadmill-based workouts and also during calibration.

Keep in mind that, when estimating distances for indoor walks and runs via the built-in accelerometer, Apple Watch cannot recognise or adjust for inclines or declines on a treadmill.

If you would like to submit any feature requests to Apple, then you can do so here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2017 10:50 AM in response to rjuneja96

Hi

It is not possible to manually calibrate Apple Watch to a treadmill's reported results.

Apple Watch can pair and sync with compatible gym equipment, by following the instructions here:

Use gym equipment with Apple Watch

It may otherwise help to calibrate your Apple Watch, including resetting any existing calibration data.

Calibration teaches your Apple Watch how your arm movements relate to your stride lengths at different speeds when you are walking and/or running. It does this, during outdoor walk and/or outdoor run workouts that are recorded via the Workout app, by comparing data from the accelerometer with GPS (Location Services) data.

To calibrate your Apple Watch - and to reset existing calibration data - follow the instructions here:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Resetting your calibration data can be equally as helpful for Series 2 & 3 models and will not erase your Activity history.

For the best results, be sure to allow the arm on which you are wearing your Apple Watch to swing naturally during treadmill-based workouts and also during calibration.

Keep in mind that, when estimating distances for indoor walks and runs via the built-in accelerometer, Apple Watch cannot recognise or adjust for inclines or declines on a treadmill.

If you would like to submit any feature requests to Apple, then you can do so here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Dec 21, 2017 11:01 AM in response to rjuneja96

You need a treadmill with NFC and Bluetooth to be able to use the Apple Watch they way you want. I have looked into this and many other issues on my vegan site as well as my apple site.

Bluetooth 4 has been around since 2010 but fitness machines are very expensive so only the most recent fitness clubs may have anything at all that remotely resembles what you need.

I believe the best best for the Apple Watch today is running outside where the GPS can accurately track your actual run distance and speed.

Maybe in 2030 or so the fitness sector might finally be more widely suitable to what you want.

Jan 2, 2018 5:44 AM in response to rjuneja96

Have the same problem. Wrote to apple about it. My tomtom watch have a good function when running on treadmill. After each run it comes up if you want to adjust the length before saving your run. Now i have to use an app called rungap. Here i adjust the length before reading it over to runkeeper. About the calories it should be quite ok with the watch. If you're not have your weight, length and pulse on it. Otherwise it never can be better than your apple watch.

Jan 26, 2018 6:08 AM in response to Madmaxswe

A treadmill does not report accurate calorie burn simply because it’s not accurately monitoring your heart rate. Apple Watch or any other heart rate monitor should more accurately measure a true calorie burn. As far as distance most wearables I have owned from Fitbit to Nike Watch to now Apple Nike was ch have never been accurate to a treadmill I’m not sure they ever will be unless of course there is some type of nfc or Bluetooth connection between the two.

Apple Watch Series 3 & Running on Treadmill

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.