Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTune Movie Rentals don't play in airplane mode

Recently I rented and downloaded movies from iTunes to watch on my iPad Pro during a flight. However while in airplane mode the movies will not load. Does anybody have a way to fix this?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 7:29 PM

Hello jeffoakpark,

I understand that you have a question about renting a moving on your iPad. I use my device a lot and know how important it is to have your device running correctly. I'm here to help.

Here is a resource that can assist you:

About renting movies from the iTunes Store

Specifically:

Watch your movie rental offline

To watch your movie when you're offline, like on an airline flight where Wi-Fi is not available:

• Download the entire movie before you go offline.
  • Press play to start watching. The 48-hour timer starts even if you're offline.

You might consider downloading rented movies prior to the day of your trip to make sure you have time to download all of the content.

Have a great day!
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2017 7:29 PM in response to jeffoakpark

Hello jeffoakpark,

I understand that you have a question about renting a moving on your iPad. I use my device a lot and know how important it is to have your device running correctly. I'm here to help.

Here is a resource that can assist you:

About renting movies from the iTunes Store

Specifically:

Watch your movie rental offline

To watch your movie when you're offline, like on an airline flight where Wi-Fi is not available:

• Download the entire movie before you go offline.
  • Press play to start watching. The 48-hour timer starts even if you're offline.

You might consider downloading rented movies prior to the day of your trip to make sure you have time to download all of the content.

Have a great day!

Mar 25, 2018 7:38 AM in response to jeffoakpark

I’ve been dealing with this issue as well for months now with my iPad Pro 10.5. I just confirmed it again, downloaded three rental movies while at home with 1 gig internet connection. Started to play the movie even while connected and the movie disappears from the downloaded section of my TV app. I go to the movie again in iTunes store and it’s giving me the cloud icon to download again. Highly frustrated and I expect better. It’s cost me at least $30 in wasted movie rentals.

May 31, 2018 3:09 PM in response to turingtest2

I had the same problem just last week. I downloaded (completely) two movies to my iPad. The first one that I watched ran just fine. Then, at the end of the week, back on a plane, I went to watch the second movie and it simply would not play. This has happened before but not for awhile. It's totally frustrating and a nuisance to convince the iTunes store to refund the rental cost.

iTune Movie Rentals don't play in airplane mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.