You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Workout app keeps pausing (iWatch3) -

I have read posts and tried the suggestions does anyone have a fix for this? Im on my second series 3 cellular as i assumed maybe it was the watch but this one seems worse .. 30 secs into a walk/run/treadmill it stops.. I tried putting in a 5:00 goal as per one suggestion and nothing.. Anyone have any suggestions fixes ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 5:47 PM

3 replies

Dec 21, 2017 4:38 AM in response to DUlrich1227

Hi

With Wrist Detection and Passcode enabled, check that you are unlocking your Apple Watch (not iWatch) after placing it on your wrist and that you are wearing your watch sufficiently snugly during your workouts.

Tracking can be affected if your Apple Watch loses contact with your skin, causing it to believe that it has been removed from your wrist. A loose fitting band can trigger this by allowing your watch to lift from your wrist and/or by allowing clothing (for example, the end of a sleeve) to slip beneath the back of the watch.

Better contact with your wrist may also improve heart rate sensor performance during your workout.

Apple suggests that you consider tightening the watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Note that sensor performance can also be affected by temporary or permanent changes to your skin, such as by some wrist tattoos:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Workouts may also be paused or ended early due to accidental interactions with your watch's screen (including by clothing). To help prevent this, you can lock the screen during workouts (see the Workout app article below for instructions).

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Dec 21, 2017 5:19 PM in response to DUlrich1227

If the issue persists and you do not have a tattoo or other skin change that may be affecting sensor performance, then - as referenced in my previous reply - I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Apple Workout app keeps pausing (iWatch3) -

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.