Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Plus Flash not working in cold

I am using an iPhone 8 Plus 64 Gb on iOS 11.2.1

There is an issue with the camera flash, it doesn't work in cold environment.

When I try to click pictures or shoot video outside the camera flash doesn't fire it just blinks in Photo mode and nothing happens in the Video Mode.

I understand that I live in a cold place however as per apple the operating temperature is 0° and 35° Celsius and

I am facing this problem with temperature of 3 to 5 degrees.

I have tried reseting the phone, restoring the software through itunes however the issue is still there.

The flash light works if I use it from control center, then I keep it on for sometime and the FLASH fires in camera app too BUT after keeping the phone idle for sometime the flash doesn't fire again.

Is this a design fault? The hardware is not supporting the cold?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 8:48 AM

12 replies

Jan 20, 2018 9:29 AM in response to hashimhakeem

Hi, my iPhone X (iOS 11.2.1) do not flash in low temperature too 🙁

It is strange because a flashlight app works in this enviroment !

Around 0 to +1 celsius temperature.

I’m afraid that “It’s no bug it’s feature…”,

but I need just to make photo of my car 🙂
Should I drive him into the living room now?

It’s time to die or switch to Samsung? 🙁

Best regards from NOT too cold Poland.

Feb 27, 2018 5:19 AM in response to hashimhakeem

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Same problem here with iphone 8.

PS. If you want flash to work for one or two quick photos, first turn on flashlight and then take a pic with flash turned on. It works like this every single time, but you have to always turn flashlight first and than instantly take photo, or it won't work again... 😀 Same goes for taking video. I hope Apple can do something about it, maybe it's a software bug after all, and not hardware issue, at least I hope so...

Apr 24, 2018 8:42 AM in response to mghioca

I have exactly this issue with my iPhone X purchased on day 1 of release. The flash does not work at night, usually when I need it most! I thought it was because of low temps initially, but it's still failing in temps of 10C+. It's driving me crackers to be honest.

Is this a general problem with all iPhone 10s, or just a few faulty ones which can be replaced?

iPhone 8 Plus Flash not working in cold

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.