Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Not Recognized by Thunderbolt Display USB Ports

I have been suffering with my Apple Keyboard not Being Recognized and working when Plugged into my Apple 27 Inch Thunderbolt Display. Since there are 3 USB Ports I would just switch the cable to one of the other 2 USB ports and that always fixed the problem. I thought I had a Bad Port on the Back of my Display. But Today when ALL 3 Ports failed I knew it was Not The Display. I Googled the Problem and Found Great Answer on Apple Forums. Just Plugged in my 3 Foot Long Apple Keyboard Extension Cable and Bingo - All 3 Ports Now Work. Thanks for a Great Answer. Using MacBook Air.

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 10:15 AM

GL_Philly solved the Problem with his Post of July 19, 2013 as Follows:

Thunderbolt Display USB Keyboard Problem Workaround

Hi everyone,

I've seen hundreds of messages related to the fact that the thunderbolt displays will occasionally not recognize a wired apple keyboard connected to the display when connecting to a laptop. I might have a workaround for those affected.

My 2103 15" MacBook Pro would never see the keyboard once I unplugged the unified thunderbolt cable and plugged it back in. I've done everything from doing the switching USB ports dance, turning display off (pulling out power cable), connecting and reconnecting in various different steps, and even tried a new thunderbolt cable to bypass the built in one. Nothing ever worked, or a least, worked consistently. USB drives, iphone cables etc all work just fine, so I know the USB jacks are functioning.

I discovered that if you use the USB keyboard extender cable that Apple provides with some macs, and plug your keyboard into the the display through that cable, it will see the keyboard instantly. Everytime. We've tried it on a few computers at work and it solved the problem on those as well. I should note that the keyboards we are using are the latest apple ones with the launchpad key on F4.

If you are having problems, give it a shot. It just might solve the issue, until Apple gets it act together and acknowledges there is a problem.

Happy typing. Posted on Jul 19, 2013 4:46 AM by GL_Philly

That Forum was Closed so Apple said I had to Repost this with New Question. I am doing so to Thank GL_Philly because his suggestion worked Perfectly for me and now I can switch the Keyboard to Any of the 3 USB Ports on the Back of my Monitor and they ALL recognize my Apple Keyboard. What a Simple and Un-Explainable Solution. Why on Earth would an Extension Cord Work in place of the Same Connection using a Shorter Direct Cable!!!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2017 10:15 AM in response to Bob Greenspan

GL_Philly solved the Problem with his Post of July 19, 2013 as Follows:

Thunderbolt Display USB Keyboard Problem Workaround

Hi everyone,

I've seen hundreds of messages related to the fact that the thunderbolt displays will occasionally not recognize a wired apple keyboard connected to the display when connecting to a laptop. I might have a workaround for those affected.

My 2103 15" MacBook Pro would never see the keyboard once I unplugged the unified thunderbolt cable and plugged it back in. I've done everything from doing the switching USB ports dance, turning display off (pulling out power cable), connecting and reconnecting in various different steps, and even tried a new thunderbolt cable to bypass the built in one. Nothing ever worked, or a least, worked consistently. USB drives, iphone cables etc all work just fine, so I know the USB jacks are functioning.

I discovered that if you use the USB keyboard extender cable that Apple provides with some macs, and plug your keyboard into the the display through that cable, it will see the keyboard instantly. Everytime. We've tried it on a few computers at work and it solved the problem on those as well. I should note that the keyboards we are using are the latest apple ones with the launchpad key on F4.

If you are having problems, give it a shot. It just might solve the issue, until Apple gets it act together and acknowledges there is a problem.

Happy typing. Posted on Jul 19, 2013 4:46 AM by GL_Philly

That Forum was Closed so Apple said I had to Repost this with New Question. I am doing so to Thank GL_Philly because his suggestion worked Perfectly for me and now I can switch the Keyboard to Any of the 3 USB Ports on the Back of my Monitor and they ALL recognize my Apple Keyboard. What a Simple and Un-Explainable Solution. Why on Earth would an Extension Cord Work in place of the Same Connection using a Shorter Direct Cable!!!

Keyboard Not Recognized by Thunderbolt Display USB Ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.