Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touch pad not working after update to high sierra 10.13.2

hi.

I just updated to High Sierra 10.13.2 and my touch pad doesn't seem to work. it is stuck in the left top corner. I tried to reset System Management Controller, which seems to kinda work.

the problem is, that after resetting SMC on the login screen touch pad works. after logging in, it again doesn't work.

I can repeat this several times in a row.

keyboard works and I can control the mac book via external mouse and keyboard.

is there some place I can go and uninstall/remove the touch pad like in Windows?

thank for any kind of help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 2:06 PM

12 replies

Dec 23, 2017 9:23 AM in response to dusandusan

Apologies!! I believe that reply was meant for another topic. You said the problem was with the trackpad. Your machine doesn't have a touchpad. If that is correct you might try reinstalling macOS. The first thing to try is downloading and installing the macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Combo Update. If that doesn't fix it then reinstall macOS:

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

Jan 8, 2018 11:39 PM in response to johnfromplantation

hi john.

did you followed these steps ?

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
  2. After your Mac shuts down, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
    If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
  3. Release all keys.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Jan 1, 2018 10:32 AM in response to Kappy

OK, I reinstalled, touchpad is still not working.

I was trying to reproduce the behavior with touchpad working for some short time at startup. it seems that until I have my finger on the touchpad, it seems to work, when I lift my finger, touchpad is "dead" again. First I thought I am able to repro every time I do the SMC reset, but now I can't do that. I don't see any causality between doing SMC reset and making touchpad work again.
Is there any battery in my mac that I could check? What would an Apple technician do? Is there any tool I can run that will check my device?

Jan 1, 2018 10:56 AM in response to Kappy

OK, so is there any tool I could use to track things down?
Could it be that by some accident wrong firmware was flashed to the keyboard / touchpad?

I have this data from the system information :

Model ID - MacBookPro11,1

Boot ROM - MBP111.0142.B00

SMC - 2.16f68

I really can't believe that after 2,5y of casual use pro grade mac book touch pad goes dead....

Jan 1, 2018 11:17 AM in response to dialabrain

indeed, true.
but that doesn't solve my problem. my problem happened just after last big High Sierra update + my mac is just 4 months after warranty. is that a firmware problem? HW? some other SW component problem? I really don't know.
I am just having hard time to find some information what to do right now.
thx for any kind of information ladies.

touch pad not working after update to high sierra 10.13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.